1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up New E60......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johndm, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Been up most of the night playing with my new toy..:smashin:

System is RA82 DVD player scart to Panny digibox, scart to E60, scart to TV. All set to RGB.
    RF connections are aerial to E60 to TV.

When the E60 is fired up, there is a very faint interferance...horizontal bars scroll up the screen.
    This comes and goes (its VERY faint but annoying)

This appears on all channels from the E60 tuner, $ky when routed through the E60, and on the E60 setup menu screens.

With the E60 powered down, $ky is fine running through the E60 and back to the TV.

Scarts are all fairly good quality, E60 RF output is set to 'off'

suggestions chaps..:hiya:

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This may be a long shot but worth checking out to eliminat the possibility. Years ago when connecting My Betamax machine to a VHS machine I had such a problem with the Betamax tuner. It turned out to be electromagnetic interference from the mains cable crossing or being too close to other cables. Once I had tidied up the mass of cables all was fine.

For trouble shooting try the process of elimination by connecting your E60 to the TV only leaving all other units including Sky out of the chain to see if the problem then still persists. Also try settings other than RGB just to see if that makes a difference.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Been playing all day....basically with RF outputs etc, as I know these can be a pain, even though everything is scarted.

Tried all sorts of combinations with no joy..:confused:

The E60 RF output is OFF
    Tried moving the Digibox RF around....no joy!

Can't understand why my old panny DVD plays fine, and thats at the top of the scart chain, and $ky works fine throgh the E60 when the E60 is switched OFF?

Its that sort of irratating moire type pattern that fades in and then dissapears....

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    So, went to Comet (well it is Sunday) and paid their excessive prices for 3 gold Monster scarts.....a shade under 90 of our pounds..:eek:

Fashoned them into a loom with some ties, and routed them away from the mains leads/plugs/sockets..:smashin:

Problem...errrr NOT sorted..:(

Tried every other combination of settings known to man, but the pattern persists.

Thinking the RF connection from E60 to telly (only used for TV signal throughput) may be picking something up?
    Using the cheapo thin black job supplied.

Are there any higher quality RF leads available?

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Been disconnecting and reconnecting all the scarts......
    pattern remains..:thumbsdow

However, after digging the RF connection from E60 to telly out from the mass of mains cabling, pattern is less obvious when viewing, but remains VERY visable with the E60 menu screens displayed.

Also recorded to RAM disc while pattern showing, and on playback, when I pause the recording, the moving pattern still shows, proving that the E60 is NOT at fault.

Could something strange happen in the RGB daisy chain?

6. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Im new to the forum and I just happened to see your post.I bought a Panasonic E60 last Friday and Im having a similar time to you by the sounds of things! lol I thought it was just my imagination with those faint lines ...
    I was considering getting new scart leads in, as I assumed that might be the problem.When Ive fiddled around with the leads Ive noticed the sound gets higher or lower depending on which way I pull the leads lol Also on some playbacks there is a very noticable "Crack" sound on the audio.Im guessing that something isnt agreeing with the Panasonic lol I have a VCR and Sky Digital Box under the TV also.....:confused:
    I will be interested to know how you get on

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Johndm. This must be driving you up the wall. it would me!!

The "Mains" cable I believe could be the biggest culprit when eloctomagnetic interference is a posibility. Make sure any mains cables are not crossing over the "Scart" cables.

There is a device that panny may have supplied for putting over the mains cable to reduce the possibility of problems like you describe. (Small black metalic like tube that is hinged to open and fit over the mains cable somehow.....) I had one supplied but have never used it as I don't get that problem now. Even though I only have bog standard scart cables.

Have you tried leaving everything out of the chain except the TV and Panny. Connect RF cable and scart only to the TV. With this set up is it better or worse???

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Johndm. I have just remembered another possible cause for the moire type pattern. I live in a strong signal area and early Panasonic VCR's could not handle it properly and I had to fit an attenuatort between the recorder and coaxial aerial connector.

Later VCR's had the option of setting High/Low and even that was not enough in some cases I still had to use the attenuator.

I have had a look at the rear of my machines (E20 and E30) but cannot see an option switch to set on High/Low. I don't know if it exists in the menu somewhere. If it does i have not found it.

The patterning did not however appear on all channels. Uaually no more than two terrestrial channels at a time. So if you think you live in a strong signal area this might be worth checking out.

9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    zach54.
    You may well find my solution will sort you out too..:smashin:
    What TV do you have?

malcom.
    Thanx for the suggestions/advice....BUT, here's the solution.:clap:

After searching this forum, once again, all the answers we need are buried in there somewhere.:rolleyes:

Panasonic TV's for one, have a 'known' compatability problem with RGB signals.

The answer to curing the scrolling interference pattern seen when watching DVD via RGB is an adjustment to the "Digital Voltage Control Oscillator" (DVCO) setting in the TV service menu.

I turned the RA82 DVD player and Sky digibox off, and recalibrated the TV with the DMRE60 only switched on. This automatically adjusted the DVCO from a setting of 000, to +16, and those lines are history..:smashin:

After a quick power up/down of the other gear, Sky is still clear, but the other DVD player (RA82), is suffering some VERY faint lining, however, this is very much reduced than before calibration, and if I wasn't looking so hard, I would say they would not be visable during normal viewing.

As the RA82 will be used as a slave DVD-RAM and DVD-A player, this is not now a problem. and as recalibration is so simple, it would only take a couple of mins to re adjust the DVCO to suit one or the other..:D

Result or what................:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

10. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndm

How do I get into the menu that you described? Are you using a Panasonic telly like me?

Regards

Dude

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So pleased you sorted it Johndm. Now you can enjoy...:smashin:

12. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff!! :clap:
    Seems like you are sorted.I have a Phillips 32" W/S TV so Im not too sure your solution will work for me.It made for very interesting reading though.
    Thanks for your help :smashin:

13. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff!! :clap:
    Seems like you are sorted.I have a Phillips 32" W/S TV so Im not too sure your solution will work for me.It made for very interesting reading though.
    Thanks for your help :smashin:

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    do a search for DVCO on this forum....all will be revealed..:smashin:

15. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Think you should start with the basics as mentioned above,

Decent scarts, and keep em away from mains cables.

Check for any RF output channel clashes, even though you may well not be using any RF leads they can still cause probs.....say if a DVD player/Sky/VCR are set to similar output channel numbers.

I'm not aware of any Phillips TV RGB probs, but maybe someone else on this forum knows better....:D

16. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the nice reply Johndm :smashin:

17. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchased an E50 - and I had the same waves going up the screen. I got rid of them by changing the RF channel for the DVD and then retuning the VCR channel on the Telly (Panasonic) to that channel.

Seemed to get rid of the Waves and my picture is now "clean" - both with recordings and pre-recorded. (I don't really know what I am doing so don't take this assertion as true - I'll probably find out tomorrow it hasn't cleared it up at all.)

However.....once I am at the menu (Functions) I get a huge amount of coloured "noise" build up in the background.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Had enough tearing my hair out for one day - heading for a Bar soon as I can.

Roger

18. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I trust you have your E50 connected to your TV with a scart lead?

Your post suggests you might be using RF connections only?

Do tell..............:suicide:

19. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - with scart and using the auto download from my Panasonic TV to initially tune the channels.

Panasonic TV - Sky+ (set to output RGB) - Qlink to DVD.

On the DVD I have the SETUP Menu as:

AV2 Input to RGB
    AV2 Connection to NORMAL
    AV1 Output to RGB

I have just had another play with a fresh pair of eyes and have realised that the interference only happens if the DVD is left on AV1.

I have it set to AV1 to allow me to record from Sky+.

If I change the channel to any terrestistrial channel then I lose the noise.

I can still record from AV1 it just doesn't like to display it on VCR.

The plot thickens.

Strictly speaking I ought to be able to see Sky from the VCR channel as clear as day - shouldn't I?

I don't know about the E60 - but the soliution for me to waves on screen during playback was to hold down the FUNCTIONS button until a channel displayed on the DVD. Change the channel. The manually change the channel for VCR on your TV. (Apologies if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs here - I am a hacker, not an expert.)

You would have thought by now with all this advanced technology they would have invented a box that was easy to set up. Or have I just been spolit for the last 18 months with Sky+?

Roger

20. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ahhhh, Panny TV!!!! have you adjusted the DVCO in service menu?

When setting up my E60 last week, I was convinced tht changing the RF output from the recorder was clearing the problem too....but it was not to be:thumbsdow

21. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, nearly put it to the test - quick recordings look okay so thought I would copy and watch a film. Didn't realise that if I am copying from a recording on the Sky+ box I have to leave the TV on. I left the Sky+ on and put the TV to standby - and it recorded a blank screen.

Never mind.......

Thanks

Roger

22. Jamera

Jamera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a form of ferrite ring, any should do the job though