1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up new E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by john lowe, Nov 15, 2003.

1. john lowe

john lowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am total newbie at this but not entirely stupid! Have studied the postings and am impressed with the level of help on offer.
    My (humble) equipment comprises Sony Trinitron tv with, er, one SCART! Standard SKY digibox and JVC VHS recorder with two SCARTs. Currently play SKY through phonos to hi-fi.
    Will shortly receive Panasonic E50 DVD recorder and want to get best and most flexible setup. Could lose the VHS recorder if necessary.
    Have a "two into one" SCART plug if any use.
    Any help gratefully received.

Kind regards, John Lowe

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Do you know if the scart is RGB compatible? If so then a good setup would be:

Sky TV Out > AV2 on the E50 and then AV1 > 2into1 > TV
    Sky VCR Out > VCR In and then VCR Out > 2into 1 > TV

This would enable you to record in RGB on the E50, watch DVDs in RGB and keep your VCR in the loop.

3. john lowe

john lowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. No I don't know if SCART is RGB compatible. How can I tell? Would the tv manual list it? If not RGB then will that setup still work?
    Many thanks John Lowe

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes the TV manual will tell you. Have a read through - if you can't see it listed it probably isn't RGB compatible.

More or less. I don't know how 'up' you are on connection types (so forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs) but in order of quality connections types are:
    - Component (best quality)
    - RGB
    - S-Video
    - Composite (worst quality)

Ignore component as your source doesn't output it (Sky) and you TV doesn't input it so if possible use the set-up I outlined for RGB. Failing that see if the TV Scart socket is S-Video enabled (again check the manual). If so you could buy an RGB to S-Video converter which would sit between the E50 and the TV. So your setup would then be:

Sky TV Out > AV2 on the E50 and then AV1 > RGB-S-Video > TV

The difficulty is that you would need to find a different way to hook up your VCR (or loose it from the loop) as you would need to manually change the TV settings from S-Video to composite to play it (that may be acceptable to you if you only use your VCR occasionally).

If your TV Scart socket is neither RGB nor S-Video enabled then you will need to use composite (video) in which my original stated setup will work as if it was RGB (only at the lower quality).

NB: With the RGB setup you (probably) won't have the problem/issue of switching settings on your TV as most auto-switch between RGB/composite upon receiving the relevant signal.

I hope I haven't lost you - it sounds complicated but once you start to hook everything up it will make sense! If you need me to explain in more detail just ask.

5. john lowe

john lowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, Rasczak. I will have a bash and see how things go!.
    John Lowe