• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Setting up my surround with the ps3... Please someone help!

tobias3

Established Member
So I have a panny sa-ht855. It has an optical cable running directly to the tv so that I can have the sky and ps3 both on surround. My question is this... Will blu ray on my ps3 be outputting Dolby dts or digital? Or will I have to sacrifice the sky surround and connect my ps3 directly to the surround?
Hope this made sense as I'm a bit of a noob when it come to sound!

Thanks in advance

tobias3

Established Member

cas398

Prominent Member
Depends what you want to do.

You could keep your speakers and buy a amp/receiver. Probably your best option as you upgrade you speakers later, and it will give you HD audio as well as Digital - like DTSHD. There's a few suggestions in this thread for under £250. Or you can have a look about the Amp section of the forum. I don't know much about that but I'm sure you can use your own speakers.

Or you could get an all-in-one system like the Logitech Z-5500 for example, but you don't have the upgrade options and the HD formats.

If I were yourself I'd go for the amp option, maybe do a bit of digging first.

eom

Standard Member
Hello all

I have an old alba amplifier with 5.1 surround sound but no optical output or hdmi output is there any way to connect this to my ps3 or do i need a new amp? any help would be great thanks

cas398

Prominent Member
Hello all

I have an old alba amplifier with 5.1 surround sound but no optical output or hdmi output is there any way to connect this to my ps3 or do i need a new amp? any help would be great thanks

Nah you'll need an optical input to get digital from the PS3.

In the meantine you could always stick in the RCA cable for sound and use the Red and White leads into the sound system, you can still use HDMI for video. It won't be digital but atleast you can use your system for sound instead of the TV.

eom

Standard Member
thats a good soloution thanks, but id say ill just upgrade the amp to get the digital. IS upgrading the amp on its own possible or will i have to buy a whole new system with speakers included? obviously i havent got a clue!

cas398

Prominent Member
thats a good soloution thanks, but id say ill just upgrade the amp to get the digital. IS upgrading the amp on its own possible or will i have to buy a whole new system with speakers included? obviously i havent got a clue!

If you have an amp and seperate speakers you should be able to upgrade to a better amp, and use the speakers you have just now. Or if you have the money get a good set of speaker too (if yours are basic). That's the advantage of buying seperates you can upgrade freely.

Like I said I don't know much about seperates but if you have a look in that section of the forum you can get some suggestions.

Seperates sections for Speakers and AV receivers: Audio Electronics - AVForums.com

tobias3

Established Member
Depends what you want to do.

You could keep your speakers and buy a amp/receiver. Probably your best option as you upgrade you speakers later, and it will give you HD audio as well as Digital - like DTSHD. There's a few suggestions in this thread for under £250. Or you can have a look about the Amp section of the forum. I don't know much about that but I'm sure you can use your own speakers.

Or you could get an all-in-one system like the Logitech Z-5500 for example, but you don't have the upgrade options and the HD formats.

If I were yourself I'd go for the amp option, maybe do a bit of digging first.

Ok- didn't know I could just plug those speakers into an amp? Can anyone confirm this pleAse before I splash yet more cash?!

Thanks

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
your fronts are 3ohms i think..the whole system has different ratings for the speakers..if you can dig out the manual it would help, but im sure they are 3 ohms for the fronts, 4 ohms for the rears, and 6 for the centre..something crazy like that..
my advice, just bin the whole thing and either invest in a set of seperates, with new speakers, or another AIO, which will come with its own speakers anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom