Setting up my s2 for a 1st time android user....

leeb-1977

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've just taken the plunge and moved from my beloved iPhone to the galaxy s2.

I haven't even fired it up yet....

Is there a guide somewhere that can give me pointers to the best way to make this thing run like a dream? Are there apps / upgrades / stuff that I can download that I should consider?

What would you all recommend? Any killer andriod apps?

Plus.... While I'm here, is there any way I can transfer my text messages to my s2 from my 3GS?

first impressions are pretty good, screen is great.... unit is fast.

Still lots to get my head aroound after using an iphone for so long (my iphone journey strated with the first iphone).

Some of the simple things i could do before im struggling with now - but ive only been playing a short while and im sure things will sink in in the days to come.

I'll make sure i keep you informed. well worth a read of the life after iphone thread in the main mobile forum.

Yeah I've read that thread , went down the town today to have a play with one ,and I'm still very undecided , I like you have had the iPhone since the original version, i,m just bored of it now, and don't really think I can justify paying £299 up front for my next phone, when I can get a galaxy s2 for £19 up front on a £30 18 mnth contract!! How are you finding it size wise , and build quality ?

size was one of my main reasons for getting it actually, i do a LOT of web browsing on my phone and wanted the bigger screen. The unit itself isnt that much bigger than the 3gs though to be fair.... not to the point i could see it causing issues anyway.

Build quality im undecided on. At first i thought it felt cheap, too thin - too light. Now though im starting to think that may be its biggest bonus. Ive been on it for a while and that lightness pays off when using it for an extended period of time.

the home button is a bit naff though - doesnt feel as solid as the iphone one.

Apps are another thing too - theres some crackers, but theres a lot of crap. Im not a massive app downloader though - im a creature of habbit so as soon as i find the ones i like ill be ok going forward.

The facebook app doesnt seem as good, it looks almost the same, but something just doesnt feel as fluid as the iphone one. cant put my finger on why though.

Twitter apps are rubbish so far - plume is about the best ive found, but there not even close to echofon. That said theres loads on there so i dare say ill find one that i can use.

I miss emoji already though. Handcent has an emoji plugin for sms - not sure how well it works yet. cant find any twitter apps with it enabled.

Overall though impressed so far - the internet browsing experience is loads better than the iphone imo.

wezzywebb said:
please let us know how you get on with your galaxy,my iphone 4 contract is finished nxt month and i,m very tempted by the galaxy !!

How on earth did you a get a 12 month contract last year? :)

Tesco mobile !!! £299 up front for a 32 gig iPhone 4 and £35 a month 12 month contract

leeb-1977 said:
Twitter apps are rubbish so far - plume is about the best ive found, but there not even close to echofon. That said theres loads on there so i dare say ill find one that i can use.
Try twicca if you just run one Twitter account

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom