1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up my pj

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mightymag, Apr 5, 2003.

1. mightymag

mightymag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im a newbie
    I need help to set up my panny ptae300. I would like to use a screen area of 2m X 1.5m. can anyone tell me the optimum distance for placing the projector? My room is 17ft deep. I would like to mount the pj on the opposite wall to the screen giving the full 17ft distance, will this be okay or will it need to be placed closer? meaning it would have to be ceiling mounted.

Has anyone got a tutorial on setting projectors up as I am a novice.
    i would appreciate any help whatsoever as I am so looking forward to getting it up and running!

also would I be able to use a video sender, as I need to avoid too many cables running around the room.

thanks for any help you can offer:clap:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mightymag,

Welcome to the Forum ! :hiya:

A screen 2mx1.5m is 4:3 ratio (the shape of a normal TV screen), and the AE300 throws a 16:9 image - like widescreen, so your screen should be 2mx1.125m.

The size of screen is a function primarily of the distance you intend to have between the projectior and the screen - referred to as "throw distance". If you go to projectorcentral.com and check the specs for the AE300, you will find an icon which will bring you to a throw distance calculator. If you enter the throw distance, it will tell you the size of image you will get. There is normally a range of sizes shown, which are dependent on the amount of zoom used - minimum zoom would be recommended by most here, for the best picture quality.

In deciding your screen size you should also take into account that most would recommend sitting 1.5 - 2x screen width from the screen.

I haven't checked, but I reckon that 17 ft is outside the focus distance for an AE300 - it wouldn't focus a picture properly at that distance; If it isn't, you'll probably find thru the site mentioned that you would end up with a pretty huge image - one which would be hard to accomodate on a wall ! In any event, you should take account of the fact that the AE300 vents hot air at the rear, and so you would need to leave some distance between the back of the projector and a wall.

I don't know of anyone using a video sender with a projector - I reckon it wouldn't help your picture quality much - folk here normally stress the importance of decent cables for connecting up the kit. But maybe someone else here has tried it out and will give a view.

If you have more questions, come back with them, if you want some 1 to 1 assistance, give some idea of whereabouts you live - there may be someone living near to you willing to give you a hand to get set up.

Have fun

Sean G.

3. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi mighthymag,

I'm a recent new owner of a panasonic 300. I can give you some approx figures, the calculator at projector central is unreliable for the AE300 (or so I read on the AVS forum).

For your size screen (adjusted for 16:9 as Sean pointed out) the projector will need to be between 9 to 11' approx away from the screen. Conversely, if you want the pj to be the full 17' away it will project that far but you're gonna need a screen 3.5m wide.

My screen is pretty similar to the size you are thinking of for yours - 80" wide and 45" high. The PJ is 9'6" from the screen and I'm sitting about 12 feet(approx 1.7 x width ) from the screen.

Personally although most people recommend being at least 1.5 x width from the screen I'd say its best to be about 2 x width. I say this because although the picture quality is generally excellent, an image this size is fairly unforgiving to the source material.

I'm glad I didnt go for a bigger screen and I might move the seating position further away. This PJ has a relatively short throw distance so I think you'll struggle to place it behind your seating positon and be far enough away from the screen not to be bothered by pixelisation and artifacts.

I'd suggest having a screen about 7' wide, sitting about 15 feet away with the PJ in front of you on a coffee table or ceiling mount in order to get a decent sized good quality picture.

As far as the video sender is concerned, I use an RF video sender to pipe sky digital pictures to the kitchen. It works pretty well but there is definitely a noticeable PQ drop and thats on a little portable so I'd bite the bullet and get cabling if I were you...

hope some of that helps,
    Cheers,
    Tony.

4. mightymag

mightymag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx very much for your help.
    its giving me aplenty to think about.

hopefully it wont take too long to get up and running.

thankfully the wife is wanting this as much as me so running cables across her ceiling wont cost me too much hassle oe ear bending.
    any ideas on where to get a cheap ceiling mount?

once again thank you it really is appreciated.