Setting up my equipment...?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kev1000, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys:)

I have a Hitachi plasma, Bush dvd/vhs combi recorder and Sky Digibox. I was hoping one of you guys could help me set it up, so as I can record sky programmes on to disc.

Here are the various connections I have available...

TV:

INPUT(AV1)...COMPONENT
    INPUT(AV2)...COMPONENT/RGB
    INPUT(AV3)..S-VIDEO
    INPUT(AV4)...which is SCART.
    DIGITAL INPUT RGB1, RGB2
    RS-232C
    AUDIO IN RGB1, RGB2

SKY Box:

Aerial In
    RS-232
    RF OUT-1
    RF OUT-2
    TV SCART
    VCR SCART
    Left/Right (speakers?)

DVD Player:

EURO AV1 (SCART)
    EURO AV2 DECODER (SCART)
    ANT-IN
    ANT-OUT
    DVD&VCR OUT (AUDIO OUT, COMPONENT OUT, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT)
    S-VIDEO OUT

The cables I have are..

2 SCART
    2 Areiel leads (at least that's what I think they are)

Any advice would be much appreciated..:)

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Connect a scart from The TV Output Scart of Skybox to AV2 of the DVDR.

Connect other scart from AV1 of DVDR to AV2 of TV [ Ensure that AV2 of the TV is configured to intake RGB ]

Also check that the DVDR is configured to intake RGB on AV2 and to output RGB on AV1.

Aerial Connnections:

Connect aerial leads in a daisy chain. Incoming aerial into skybox.
    Connect a lead from RF Out 1 to DVDR Ant In.
    Connect a lead from DVDR Ant out to TV Aerial In.

3. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech

Thanks for the reply.:)

I think I have a problem. The AV2 Input on the tv is component jacks and I don't have a lead that is one end SCART/other component.

The only leads I have are:

3x SCART
    2x Aeriel

The tv has only 1 SCART input (which I don't get, as it's a 42" Hitachi Plasma) which is AV4. Is it still possible to hook up, or is it a case of buying more leads?

4. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1 scart on av4 sounds like my Hitachi plasma.

as advice given by gavtech regarding the rgb enabled output from sky box
    [use tv out from sky box to dvd]

to scart in on the dvd then scart out from dvd to tv av4 which is scart.

hopefully the dvd has a scart pass through option so it can be in standby and still let the sky signal through to the tv. and if the dvd out is rgb enabled
    you will get the best possible signal to your plasma with the cables you have
    HOPEFULLY ?.

what i would do assuming that the dvd is only a player and not a recorder.
    [somthing tells me this could be a recorder as its in that forum] are you trying to free up space from sky+ or is it a stardard digi box.does the dvd recorder have a hard drive
    as there could be a way to be using the dvd recorder and still watch sky but on a reduced quality. by using the vcr out from sky to av4 on tv this will alow you watch sky when the dvd is writing, then you could watch the rgb signal when the recorder is not busy via the set up below.

use tv out from sky to dvd then

buy a set of component cables and some phono for audio and use them from the dvd to av2 on the plasma don't forget this will only give you the picture you will need to use the phono for the audio. cable advice i have spent up to £60 on component cable and they do give a good picture, but how much better than a cheaper set is debatable ie my £60 cables are not four times better than a set costing £15.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    OK...You don't say ... but I assume that the AV4 scart is RGB capable, so use that as the input on the TV instead of the one I first specified... and ensure it is configured [ in TV menus] for RGB.

6. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, 2 things...

1) The 'Aeriel In' on Sky Box does not have any aeriel lead connected to it?

2) When I select AV4 on TV, then Menu-Setup-Video Input-Scroll down to AV4, there's only 2 options..Composite or S.Video?

Other than these, all leads are connected as advised. I'll go try recording on to disc and see what happens...

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    From point 1 - I conclude you do not have an aerial [?]... In which case all other aerial leads are pointless.

...and from point 2 and your earlier post... I am astonished. This is the first TV I have ever known that does not have an RGB capable input scart.

It looks like you will require more leads to make progress... but in the meantime can you tell me the model number of your Hitachi plasma - I want to look further into it's input options.

8. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    av4 is RGB enabled on that model one it says it on the spec two i own one as well.
    when you select av4 does it say rgb if not try

check you DVD players options.

make sure that it is the TV out from the sky box to DVD player.

try using different scart leads by just connecting the sky box direct to the plasma
    see if it comes up av4 rgb

oh and what dvd player is it
    and while we are at it whats the sky dodgi box

10. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, the connections are exactly as above..except there is no Incoming aeriel into skybox. I select AV4 on tv and it says RGB.

I just turned the DVD Recorder off and pressed AV4 on my tv (which was already selected) and it now says Composite? Switched DVD back on..now AV4 says RGB? The channel selected on my DVD is PR01. Is it the tv or the dvd that isn't configured properly?

12. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok i just googled the make of your dvd recorder followed by RGB

It would seem that it might not be rgb out i cant tell for sure as i have never owend one but i will paste the findings of another owner section 2 could be the rgb prob

Got this unit as a present from Argos for £199 (£100 off) as a Christmas present from my lovely wife.

However - whilst it looks the part (very attractive) I am having considerable problems getting it to work, including the following problems :-

1) Unable to record on DVD+R - I have tried to use BulkPak 8x media and it 'pretends' to record but after saying please wait when I stop recording it displays a media error which flashes up for less than a second (too quick to read !) and the disc is then seen as blank.

2) No RGB input (or possibly output) - I am unable to record from my RGB Sky box as the sockets seem to lack this functionality and hence a serious loss of quality. It does have 2 Scart sockets though.

3) Defaults to channel 1 each time its switched on - why not make it keep the most recent input setting (e.g. AV1 or AV2 - Sky !) ?

4) Displays 'Wait_ _ _' for a long time when switched on.

5) Box crashes when attempting to edit a recording on DVD+RW.

As you can imagine this is severely souring my opinion of this hardware but for a DVD/Video Combo it does seem to be good value if only it worked correctly.

I am now on my second unit and both have identical problems.

Can anyone advise on how to sort out any of these problems (especially point 1) or point me in the direction of a unit (even if it does not have Video) that does not have these problems ?

ok from here just connect the sky tv out direct to av4 on the tv.
    when av4 is selected it will show info in top right of plasma it should say av4 then underneath it should say RGB. if not go to your sky box and check that RGB is enabled its in setup somwhere picture settings i think.

if you still dont get RGB in top right of plasma try a different scart lead

then post your findings like if it does it with one scart but not the other.

13. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    only rgb when the power is on.

if thats no big issue to you and you can live with it, its not what i feared as to no rgb at all.

se if there is an option in the dvd that says pass through, its already doing that if there is a picture when the dvd player is off. but no rgb
    might be a long shot but look anyway

the tv is set up correctly by the way

14. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    To record Sky you have to select AV2 in the channel display, cycle backwards with the channel select button until you see AV2 displayed on the DVDR.

15. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connected sky direct to AV4...AV4 still composite.

Went into Sky menu, Video output was set at PAL..changed to RGB.

God, please tell me this is sorted, lol!

I'll go try again to record...

16. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

i got my figers crossed

17. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no luck:(

Selected AV2 on recorder, AV4 on tv...receiving picture on both. Preparing disc, recorded 30 seconds, updating disc.

Disc stopped and I pressed play(still on AV2). After about 20-30 seconds I get a black screen with PLAY (and a disc) in top corner. Been like this for last 5 minutes:confused: Pressed stop about 1 minute ago and the screen is still there.

18. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just turned power off on DVD. Power is now back on.... my DVD has a black screen on PR01, av1, av2 and avf:confused:

Haven't touched any buttons on my TV.

Edit: When AVF is selected on DVD I get the message 'There is no live picture at the input. Please check connections'. This message doesn't come up when PR01, AV1 or AV2 are selected...still have no picture on either channel though?

19. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    try playing legit shop bought dvd film in player narrow down what could be wrong

20. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, Jimmy:)

Legit DVD's play fine.

When I press Setup-Preferences-Video on my DVD, there are 2 options..'TV Aspect' (which is set at Auto) and 'Video Output' (which is RGB). There is no option for a 'Video Input'?

Other settings that may give off some clues...

Setup-Preferences-Auto Settings: Auto Clock Set....On
    AV Link..............On
    VPS/PDC............Off

Setup-Installation-Manual Setup: Standard...............PAL-II
    Reception.............Aerial
    Auto Search..........CH-38
    Decoder................On
    Store Channel........PR-01
    Program Name........ _ _ _

About the 'Reception' option. Should this be 'Aerial' or 'Cable'?. Also, should the 'Decoder' option be set at 'On' or 'Off'. I think I've tried these in various combinations..but I could try them again.

Edit: Don't know if this helps, but I can record Sky to VHS no problem..just not disc?

21. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sounds like you don't have the user manual then lol

i assume now that you can watch sky that's passed through the recorder.

and the problem is now it will not record to DVD disk

as i have never owned the DVD recorder you have its only guess work by me

but when you are recording, are you recording the sky signal that's coming into the recorder via scart 2[av2] i think that's decoder scart socket on your machine, make sure its not trying to record the analogue signal if it has a built in tuner, or via the rf input which is the aerial.

make sure your disk a re writable and is formatted and is a 4.7 gig disk as i don't think that machine is dual layer writing.and just reading the specs again from your link the dvd disks need to be +R that machine will not write -R disks

Product Features
    DVD/VCR Combination
    On screen display
    DVD Player / Recorder
    DVD+R Playback: Yes
    DVD+R Recording: Yes
    DVD+RW Playback: Yes
    DVD+RW Recording: Yes

DVD-R Playback: No
    DVD-R Recording: No
    DVD-RW Playback: No
    DVD-RW Recording: No

22. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the user manual, lol!

Ok, the fact it can record Sky to VHS...means it can definitley record Sky to DVD...is this true?

Yes, so it seems..I now have Sky on AV1/AV2 of recorder.

'but when you are recording, are you recording the sky signal that's coming into the recorder via scart 2[av2] i think that's decoder scart socket on your machine, make sure its not trying to record the analogue signal if it has a built in tuner, or via the rf input which is the aerial.'

The DVD has no built in tuner and AV2 is selected when recording. Arrrggghhh, I'm getting really confused now, lol!. When I tune a channel into the DVD Recorder...do you think it's picking up the analogue channels on the tv..or is it picking up SKY?

Shall I try unplugging the aerial in/out from the dvd and just leave the SCART's connected? Shall I return the DVD to factory settings and start again?

The discs I've tried are 2 Philips +RW's and a Maxell +RW. How do I know if there formatted?

I'm either being really dumb here..or the DVD recording part of my player is faulty? I've got a feeling it's the first, lol!

23. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the aerial leads realy dont need to be there if you are only watching and trying to record sky.

sorry about using formatted i do realy mean they are erased using the machines erase option.

you have used two manufactures disks so it cant be media.

if you are understanding the menu of the recorder to me sounds like a problem with the machine.

this bit confused me
    Yes, so it seems..I now have Sky on AV1/AV2 of recorder. if you only have the scart from TV out from sky to the DECODER in on the recorder only one should have the sky signal,unless that is because yours is a combo. i could be wrong but im basing this on my recorder

my recorders menu lets you specify by input source
    record from
    1 tv
    2 scart
    3 i link [camera]
    4 av front [svideo or composite]

24. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Have a look in the menu for DVD setup, there should be an option for you to format the discs you have there.

25. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I'll go read the section about recording to DVD in my user manual..be back in a few minutes

26. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, this is what it reads:

Basic Recording from a Television to a DVD...

Switch TV on (well, I understand that bit, lol!) and ensure the video input source for the product is selected.

Switch on product, insert DVD.

Select the DVD mode. If the product does not show a television programme, press the 'TV VIEW' button. Use the PR+ or PR- button to select the desired channel.

Set desired recording speed.

Set desired audio channel.

Press record.

To stop recording, press STOP (you don't say, lol!). Updating the disc may take several minutes.

Well, thats what it says. I think somehow I'm not receiving the Sky picture on AV2 (DVD) and it's actually the picture on my TV that I'm seeing?

Adrian, the menu button (DVD remote) doesn't seem to do anything. I've pressed it at various times without any response? It works fine with legit DVD's.

Just pressed the TV/VCR button on my DVD remote. I received a picture on PR-01, AV1, AV2 and AVF...but my AV4 channel on TV returned to Composite?

If I press the TV/VCR button again...symbol disapears from DVD display, my AV4 channel (TV) returns to RGB and I receive a picture on PR-01, AV1 and AV2, but not AVF. Don't know if this is any clue?

27. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hmm recording from a TV that would be be if you had scart out from your tv, as you would know your TV does not need to be on to record from sky. you are recording from a decoder a satalite source.

as your sky box is first in line then dvd then TV those iinsructions are misleading.

if you have instant record on the remote press it then do some input or channel hoping on the dvd see what happens.

28. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Is there perhaps a Setup button on the remote ? If so look for DVD setup and formatting there.

29. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I'll try your advice tomorrow as I really need to get some sleep..5.40am up in morning (damn!, lol).

Thanks again for your help:thumbsup:

30. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    If you have an aerial connected to the DVD then enter the Installation menu and choose Auto to tune in the analogue channels then we can try to record to disc from one of these channels. By the way the discs are automatically formatted upon insertion.