Setting up MKV / MP4 Server

opdef

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been tirelessly ripping all of my hundreds of DVDs and Blu-rays to MKV / MP4 format so I can box away the discs themselves and save some space. Some of the MKV Blu-ray files are up to 40GB. I want to set up a server next to my TV with around 6TB of films / TV / music on, with the option to increase this in the future. For this I was thinking of getting the Synology DS414. I was then thinking of getting a Rasberry Pi with Plex on to give it a nice interface on the TV, letting me access all of the films etc. Can anyone confirm if I can do this? I'm a bit concerned whether the Pi will have enough grunt to do this, or if I need to get something like the Popcorn Hour A410. The only other thing I want to do with the files is watch them upstairs on an iPad, considering the large size of the files would they still play ok using the Plex app?

Thanks for any help, I've been trying to research this over the last couple of days and I'm getting a bigger and bigger headache.

Not sure if the Popcorn does plex. How about Asustor 304t you can install xbmc & using the hdmi output, plug it straight into a tv. You might be able to run plex on it. Saves buying a Pi

Will the iPad play MKVs or have you converted all your MKV rips to MP4?

I'm also looking at the DS414 - I think the Pi would cope with the DVD rips no problem, not sure about the bluray rips. I have the WDTV Live and it has a nice interface, perhaps a little buggy, but does the job.

No the iPad will need to play the mkvs, but I'm not sure how that would work, if it could be done with an iPad app or if it would need transcoding. And from what I understand the DS414 doesn't transcode, so it's whether the Pi or something like the Popcorn would be able to do this.

Not sure if the Popcorn does plex. How about Asustor 304t you can install xbmc & using the hdmi output, plug it straight into a tv. You might be able to run plex on it. Saves buying a Pi

That looks very close to what I'm after, but it frustratingly uses HDMI input for audio and I've only got a non-HDMI (coax/optical) amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom