Setting up local wi-fi file share - without internet access

mrbenn

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to set-up a local file share via wifi but not connected to the internet.

I have the following available:
wi-fi usb dongle - tp link
various old pc's
usb sticks/hdd's for data storage
can buy wi-fi cable router if needed

I cannot connect it to the existing wired network so everything will need to be done over local wi-fi. I would like users to be able to enter a local IP address to take them to a file list homepage or if upon joining the wifi network they would be presented with a homepage with the files.

Clients would be windows pc's, tablets and phones. Happy playing with linux so would prefer to use that.

Is it possible to set up a wifi network using just a pc and usb wifi dongle? or do I need a router?

It would be a similar setup to pirate box, but with known local users only.
http://daviddarts.com/piratebox/?title=PirateBox

I have found the TP-Link TL-WR842ND which it appears can be flashed with dd-wrt and as it has a usb socket this may be an easier way?
http://www.ebuyer.com/343315-tp-link-300mbps-multi-function-wireless-n-router-tl-wr842nd

Any thoughts/solutions much appreciated!

Last edited:
All you would need is a PC running Linux (or Windows) with a HD for storage of the files and pretty much any old WiFi router. Ethernet cable between one of the router's LAN ports and the PC, set the PC to pick it's IP address automatically from the router's DHCP server and configure your WiFi network via the router as normal. You won't have internet access as long as you don't plug the router into the internet :)

Run Apache on the PC to provide files over HTTP and you're away. You can povide as much/little security via Apache as you require.

excellent, thanks for the reply will now find buy a router

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom