Setting up LCD, PS3, home cinema system

a13hoj

Standard Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to connect the following up to make the most out of them:

Samsung LE40M87 lcd television
Samsung Tx35R home cinema system
Playstation 3

ive read i could also use optical cables to connect the ps3 to the cinema system, and would the cinema system just connect to the tv via HDMI?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's correct optical for your TV and if you want s/s from your TV, connect an audio cable (probably red/white RCA phono) to the Samsung. I think it has one analogue and one optical input so you should be sorted.

a13hoj

Standard Member
Thanks, but if i connect lets say, the cinema system to the tv, and hdmi and optical from the cinema system, and want to add the ps3, i can attach the ps3 via hdmi, but if i wanted to connect the ps3 to the surround sound via an optical cable too, how would i go about this?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I take it your TV has optical output? You could buy a toslink (optical) switch. Manual ones cost around £10.

The PS3 will connect directly to the TV via HDMI and to the h/c system via optical. Remember the PS3 is a DVD player and Bluray player, effectively making the Samsung's built-in DVD player redundant unless of course it's been modified for multi-region playback.

Edit - The Manual for your TV states that it has both analogue and optical outputs, so you would use analogue (no difference as Freeview etc. only outputs 2.0 channel audio anyway) for the TV and optical for the PS3.

a13hoj

Standard Member
yeh, the telly has optical out.

Thanks alot, that is true about the h/c dvd player, so i gather i wouldnt need the optical switch as i could just play all my dvds from the ps3 and it would be connected via optical anyway.

Thanks for your help.... my ps3 and h/c system should be arriving next week! hopefully it all works! lol

davepuma

Distinguished Member
yeh, the telly has optical out.
...... so i gather i wouldnt need the optical switch as i could just play all my dvds from the ps3 and it would be connected via optical anyway.
The optical switch was because you wanted to connect both the TV and PS3 up to the h/c system via optical. As I said, your TV also has analogue audio output, so if you want s/s from the TV, use that and leave the PS3 with the optical.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom