• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Setting up Home Cinema with SKYHD

oTonyThePonyo

Novice Member
Hello,

Been racking my head on how to setup my home cinema system with my TV and SK. I've had a look through a few articles on here but still struggling.

Here is my setup;

Samsung Series 6 JU6500 TV
Component / AV In Red / White / Red / Blue / Green/Yellow
HDMI IN (STB/DVI)
HDMI IN (MHL)
HDMI IN (ARC)
HDMI IN
Optical (Audio Out)

Toshiba SD-43HK Home Cinema
Audio in (RCA) L Red / White
Audio in (RCA) R Red / White
Composite Out Red / Blue / Green
Video out (RCA) Yellow / S-Video
Optical in
Scart

Sky-HD
HDMI Out
Audio out (RCA) Red / White
Optical Out

My current setup is
SKYHD > HDMI > TV
SKYHD > Optical > Home Cinema
Home Cinema > Scart to RCA > TV (no scart on Tv)

I can get surround sound when watching DVDs, and can get surround sound when i plug SKYHD > RCA > Home cinema (although there is a big delay)
I have checked my audio settings in SKY any they appear to be correct (Dolby Digital next to optical and HDMI)
I do also have an XBOX One which i wouldn't mind connecting too, but this isn't something that is needed.

I have gone through all the settings on the Home cinema but just cant get the sound through.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY HD > 2RCA Out - isn't delivering 'surround sound' it is limited to 2Ch stereo. Any 'surround' effects are being generated by your Amp.

SKY HD > Optical Out - is the correct connection to get 'up to DD5.1' into the Amp. (Remembering not all channels broadcast a 5.1 signal so much of what you view will still be in stereo).

Assuming you have the SKY box configured correctly ensure you are selecting the Digital Input on the Amp when you wish to listen to the SKY box.

A quick test is to confirm you have a red glow on the end of the Optical cable at the end you plug into the Amp.

Joe

oTonyThePonyo

Novice Member
SKY HD > 2RCA Out - isn't delivering 'surround sound' it is limited to 2Ch stereo. Any 'surround' effects are being generated by your Amp.

SKY HD > Optical Out - is the correct connection to get 'up to DD5.1' into the Amp. (Remembering not all channels broadcast a 5.1 signal so much of what you view will still be in stereo).

Assuming you have the SKY box configured correctly ensure you are selecting the Digital Input on the Amp when you wish to listen to the SKY box.

A quick test is to confirm you have a red glow on the end of the Optical cable at the end you plug into the Amp.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I have a red light at the end of the cable going into the sound box.
Have the sound box set to digital
Settings on sky audio - optical set to dolby digital
Selected a channel on sky that has a program with DD in the info.

Still nothing coming through the sound system.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you have another Source with Optical Out you can try with the Amp?

Ensure the Optical cable is secure in the socket in the Amp - quite often they can appear to be home but not quite clicked into place.

Joe

oTonyThePonyo

Novice Member
Do you have another Source with Optical Out you can try with the Amp?

Ensure the Optical cable is secure in the socket in the Amp - quite often they can appear to be home but not quite clicked into place.

Joe

Ive tried from the TV but still doesnt work. Also made sure that the cable is in tight.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom