1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up Home Cinema - Component Video / Surround Sound Queries

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by TheDiceMan, Apr 18, 2005.

1. TheDiceMan

TheDiceMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all

Having decided to expand into home cinema i've got a couple of (probaby obvious but not to me type) questions on component video and surround sound.

Firstly on the sound side if I connect my DVD Player (Pioneer DV575A) using the 6 RCA to RCA connectors to my AV amp (Yamaha DSPAX640SE) to use SACD etc do I still need to bother with an optical digital connection between the two as well for normal DVD surround sound or will these send the mutli channel info for me anyway? All is not clear on the manuals i've downloaded (still waiting on the kit).

Secondly on the visual front i'll be using component video to join it to my TV (Panasonic TX36PD30) but do I just send it from the DVD to the TV or do I send it through the amp first? What is the benefit of doing this? I presume I will also have to connect the two audio phono outs of the tv to the amp to enjoy sound through home cinema speakers when watching normal tv broadcasts as components don't carry this?

Sorry if this is overly basic I think i;ve got it but can't find definitive answer to set mind at ease!

Thanks

2. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Diceman, with regards to the sound, the 6 rca to 6 rca lead you refer to will send all the sound you need from your dvd to amp so you would'nt need to bother with an optical lead. They both do the job but in different ways. The optical lead 'downmixes' the sound info when it leaves the dvd player then your 'brain' inside your yammy amp has to reverse that info and split it into the 5.1 channels. If you send it like you have over six seperate channels then your taking out the need for downmixing and upmixing and should get a more true sound. Having said that dvd players and amps today are so advanced at doing this you shouldnt really notice any difference. With the visual side of things I would send the component lead straight into the tv. The video inputs on the amp are there incase you run out of connections on your tv and want to run something extra using component. With the audio leads it depends how you recieve your tv? If you've got Sky or anyother type of cable then these usually have L/R rca out so use these straight into the amp. If not then run it from your tv into the amp. As always, make sure your using good quality leads or the whole concept is wasted! Hope that helps?

3. TheDiceMan

TheDiceMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the clarification.

That's pretty much what I thought, just needed it confirming in black and white!

Thanks again.