Setting up Gallo's

porker

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just purchased a set of Gallo's after auditioning them for the third time, being not too impressed the previous two times, I am now well and truly converted.
Some retailers must be committing retail suicide by not bothering to set these little speakers up properly as I am sure that was all that was wrong in the previous two demo's.
Anyway, now that I have them home and being new to this multi-channel business I wanted to know if I had them set up correctly myself. I set all speakers to small on my Denon AVR-2802 and the crossover at 120Hz, so now what do I do with the crossover on the sub itself? I presumed that the receiver would handle everything so I have just set the sub's crossover control to maximum, is this correct?
Also, I have the volume of my receiver set at about -10dB this seems quite high within the amps range (-70 to 0 to 18dB according to the manual), is this going to damage the speakers?

Sorry if the answers to these seem obvious, they aren't to me.:blush:

I have the Denon 1803, and a 5.1 set-up of the Gallo's.

I have set the crossover on the Denon to 120Hz and the crossover on the sub to about 120hz as well. I find that this works very well.

I also have to set the volume quite high on the receiver, although -15db is easily loud enough.

the 'small' crossover setting on my Marantz 5300 is 100hz so I have the subs crossover at a similiar frequency, although difficult to tell seeing as the variable crossover is a dial.
The amp's gain is no more than a quarter of the way around. TV listening is no more than -18db, CDs no more than -26, DVDs no more than -8Db (very loud!).
To be honest I'm not sure what phase does and I haven't heard a convincing explanation on here either. But set as it was the sub sounded ever so slightly out of time with the rest of the sound coming from the Micros, so having altered it everything is no hunky-doory.
The Gallo sub can really growl down low which is amazing considering its size. I love it to bits, haven't listened to that much through it yet but music is soooo much better through my system now and LFE stuff (Sauron explosion in FOTR) sounds great.

Thanks for the replies, but I still don't understand why I need to use the crossover control on the sub when surely the amp is only sending frequencies below 120Hz to it anyway.
Isn't this going to filter the signal twice or am I completely missing the point?

Thanks,

Porker.

I have to say I don't know what the upper frequency limit of the LFE channel is (setting the speakers to small on my amp sends everything below 100hz through the LFE channel) ... but altering the sub crossover certainly effects the sound so it is having an effect.

I'm not sure whether setting the speakers to small just limit what is sent to the speakers, and the sub is sent to same signal no matter what.

Just a thought not 100% sure.

Just reading this thread, I guess I must listen VERY loud..

On my 3802, I dont use more than -8 for films, in general, TV I crank up for films, but generally about -20, but for CDs I listen at about -20 -> -15, sometimes more for classical music! :eek:

no the speaker size setting is predominantly designed to accommodate sat/sub combos like the Gallos. The small setting takes away all the bass the sats can't handle (in the case of my Marantz, everthing below 100hz) and feeds it to the sub by pumping it through the LFE channel.

Porker

Please tell me where you bought them from

Thanks

Yeah that's what I thought, until I got my gallo sub.

It's strange as there is a noticable difference if the hz is changed above the 120 that I have it set at.

most subs wont go above 120hz which is also the limit of the lfe channel, which is why you probably notice a diffrence cos you create a gap in the frequency range, tho theres nothing wrong with x-over at 120hz, 100hz is probabaly slightly better as it gives the sats and sub a little lee-way on on what they produce sound wise

cheers
lee

james, not 100% but im sure lfe goes up to 120 but small speaker setting in thx mode olny lets you have sats at 80hz

Using a Sony 1080, speaker crossover set at 120Hz, LFE cut point at 120Hz, gain at around 9O'Clock...and i too notice a subtle change in the sound, if the sub's crossover is opened out from 120 to 160Hz.

spence

z5461313 - I bought them from a local dealer called Gilson Audio.

Thanks for all the replies everybody, I guess so long as my speakers are set to small then I am not going to cause them any damage no matter where I set the crossover, I suppose it's just a case of the occasional tweak until I find a setting I like.

Cheers,

Porker.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom