Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Setting up first AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dan110, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Finally, I now have all the equipment for my first AV setup consisting of the following in a 4.5m x3m room.

Philips 36'' 9607
    Yamaha rxv630rds
    Pioneer 717 DVD player
    B&W 602s3 fronts
    B&W LCR60 centre
    B&W 600s3 rears
    B&w ASW600 subwoofer

Everything is connected up and I'm really impressed with the sound, but I am now ready to start tweaking a few things on the receiver to optimise the sound even more. So where do I start? All I have done with the amp is connected it up, set all the speakers to small and selected subwoofer for the bass channel. Not touched anything else. Here are my first impressions and problems.

1. Bass is very deep and loud and sometimes drowns out the dialogue and music coming from the front speakers. If I set the receiver to say -35db for a dvd the dialogue is spot on for volume but as soon as the bass kicks in during an action scene, its gets out of hand and the receiver has to be turned down. What should I do, just turn the volume down on the sub or manually increase the individual speaker volumes on the receiver which are all set to 0db from what I can remember? Also, should I have the bass channel on the receiver set to subwoofer alone or should it be set to 'both' so the fronts handle some of the low frequencies?

2. During a DVD soundtracks, again the bass is a bit 'in your face'. Should I just turn it down or is there a way that I can adjust something on the receiver or sub so that when music is playing it is just generated from the front speakers but when the bass needs to go really low the sub handles it, like the explosions in U571 and Saving Private Ryan. Is this what a crossover is?

3. My only other problem is the sub rattling the floor, is there anything I can put underneath it so I still get low frequencies but without rattlings the doors and floorboards?

Sorry for the long post, any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It sounds as if most of your problems come from having the subwoofer turned up too loud. Try turning it down a bit and see if that sorts out the sound problems as well as rattling the floor.

Make sure that the sub is seated properly and that if you are using spikes, that they are all level. I have a REL Storm and it is powerful enough but doesn't rattle anything.

3. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does the amp give distance options?

My sub rattles things; but that's because I broke the window frame listening to music too loud.