1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up E60 DVD with a Pani PD30 help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pugger, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any help greatfully received, I have done a search for a setup, but to no avail.

Took delivery of my new Panasonic PD30 yesterday. It was installed by the shop and they have set it up with the DVD E60 as such.

NTL DIGI TV OUT TO TV AV1 (RGB)
    DVD AV1 TO TV AV4 (RGB)
    DVD AV2 (INPUT SET TO VIDEO) TO VIDEO OUT ON THE NTL BOX.

Now I'm slightly confused because I think when record USING the using the DVD player the recording is in composite. Is this true and is this setup correct or is there a better way?

The last TV I had only had one RGB scart and on excellent advice from a few people on this board I set it up as such

DVD AV1 TO TV AV1
    DVD AV2 INPUT SET TO INPUT RGB TO NTL TV OUT (OUTPUT SET TO RGB) AND NTL VIDEOOUT TO TV AV2. This meant I could watch and record in RGB although when recording I could only watch TV in composite. Now this setting worked a treat, but I'm sure the setup on the new TV is recording in composte, is this true?

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, the new setup is recording composite since the NTL VCR out only outputs composite. Go back to the way you had it before and you'll record in RGB. The only time you need to watch composite is when the recorder is recording an analogue terrestial channel. In any other case you can watch NTL through the recorder in RGB on AV1.

Having 2 RGB sockets doesn't help unless you buy a scart splitter/amplifier to allow you to direct the NTL TV output to your tv and recorder simultaneously. Keene sells these devices. In this case you wouldn't use the NTL VCR output at all. It hardly seems worth it though given the few times you'd likely need to use it.

3. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Bobones I have changed it back to my original settings although I do have a small problem. When watching NTL through AV1 when the DVD player is standby mode I'm not sure its in RGB. The reason I say this is when I go to the setting on the NTL box and change RGB to composite I can see no change in the screen quality, nothing happens as such. If I watch NTL through AV2 on the DVD when its switched on if I do the same thing the screen goes blank (I assume its because the DVD input is for RGB). Now the picture quality through AV1 still looks fantastic, I,m just wondering why I don't see any difference when changing the settings. By the way, although no expert, the picture quality of the PD30 is pretty amazing both off DVD, where the colours and depth of the picutres are stunning and NTL where I have only seen slight problems with certain channels. Overall though I'm stunned.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, the screen goes black if the E60 receives only composite when it's expecting RGB. Either your ntl box is broken or, more likely, you aren't using a fully wired scart. Argos have a decent 21pin fully shielded, gold plated scart for £7.99. The difference between RGB and composite should be obvious on text menus and stuff.

5. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bobones, I'm using IXOS scarts all connections I will check them however to make sure none are damaged. As for the NTL BOX when I connect straight from this to the TV I can see the difference moving from Composite to RGB. Its through AV1 on the DVD ON stanby that nothing appears to change. Will this have anything to do AV2 RGB input on the DVD as isn't the signal looping through that? Or do you think I should see the picture change from composite to RGB? To be honest I think it is RGB it just would be reassuring that I knew 100%. Thanks for your help.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Make sure DVD AV1 and 2 are set to RGB and NTL is set to RGB before connecting together. Can I ask which shop installed it? Also check the PD30 input settings

7. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HornyDragon, Radiocraft, installed the TV and in the main did an excellent job, in fact the whole service from Radiocraft was first class, fully recommend them. I will try my your suggestions although looking at the TV manul there seems to little in way of options for the connections on the TV. AV1 IS RGB as AV4, besides that there is little other details. By the way I did go to Hinclys, where of course the screen test was way better than Dixons or any other of the chains, alas they couldn't get anywhere near the Radiocraft price or offer free instalation.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah RC are very hot on panny unfortunatley! Glad you liked the dispaly tho! (breathes a sigh of relief it wasnt us) It may just be that the difference is less obvious on passthrough (toggling ntl from RGB to composite should result in screen going blank on composite

9. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the screen does go blank when toggling from RGB to composite but only when I do it through AV2 on the DVD player when its on. Through DVD AV1 on standby changing the NTL settings from RGB to composite does nothing as far as I can tell certainly the screen doesn't go blank. Maybe as you said the difference is less throught the loop. I'm learning slowly! By the way when the guys set the TV up they took a FLD5 Digital Signal filter conditioning filter from the aerial connection going into the NTL box. Is there a good reason they've done this, and what actually is the said filter? Cheers for all the reponses

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    erm explain the filter again and I'll see what i can do, Do you mean took it iff the ntk coax? or off TV aerial input.

With E60 off it will pass through whatever.

11. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry dragon yeah they took the filter off the cable running into the NTL BOX. Its called a Technetix, FLD5 Digital signal conditiioning filter (FORWARD PATH EQUALISER 4dB). I found a link to the company here
    http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/section_a/a4/a4_complete.pdf
    , but its very technical have no idea what they're goingon about.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if ntl works i wouldnt worry no idea why they took it off but if PQ is ok then leave it off.