Question Setting up DVD recorder: can't load TV channels.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BrendanJabbers, Jun 15, 2018.

1. BrendanJabbers

BrendanJabbers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, and thanks for reading.
    I had a Panasonic DVD/HDD/VHS recorder for years, mainly using it to convert my large collection of VHS tapes (thousands of music clips off the telly, football matches, just anything I liked and wanted to keep) to DVD. It was a labour of love, but the machine eventually broke down on me. Since 1986 I have been saving World Cup matches (I understand the piracy/copyright laws, but these are for my own use and never leave the house). With the advent of the 2018 World Cup, I was inspired to buy a new machine. They are HARD to come by, and EXPENSIVE - I paid more for this one, refurbished, than I did for a brand new one in 2005. As the kind folks at Virgin have made it extremely difficult to record from their V6 box to an external device (I don't know what the market is for copies of Iran v Morocco, but I have no intention of going into business!) I thought I would record from the Freeview on the new DVD recorder. As you will have guessed, when I scan for channels, it's not finding any. The aerial is working - I'm feeding it through the new machine to my TV and the TV Freeview is still working. The new player is the Panasonic dmr-ex99vebk 250gb hdd dvd/vhs recorder with freeview (thank you, copy and paste).
    I'm not above buying a Freeview box and plugging it in to the recorder, but if this machine supposedly has Freeview, I feel there must be an easier solution. Any help much appreciated.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    This is quite an old model (from 2010).

Nevertheless in has a DVB-T tuner and should still be able to receive SD channels.

There is an 2015 firmware update available for it (V1.07 See here) ... but the lack of that update (if your machine does not have it) would not explain no reception.

One thing that can cause the obliteration of all channels is HDMI interference for which there are certain remedies - But to test whether that is the problem - assuming you have the unit connected by HDMI, or any other units nearby connected by HDMI, temporarily disconnect them all and connect via scart then try a retune.

If you receive channels under these circumstances - you have the HDMI problem.

3. BrendanJabbers

BrendanJabbers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - I'll try that and get back to you.