Setting up Dolby ATMOS from a tv

jonholmzee76

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm thinking of buying a new Atmos enabled OLED TV and Soundbar however I cannot get my head around how to set it up. I'm hoping to use the TV's inbuilt apps for Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. When these app's have Atmos films etc, how do I by-pass my Tv's speakers and send the Atmos signal to the Atmos enabled soundbar? If I use an optical wire (from the TV optical out) am I correct in saying this will not transmit an Atmos signal?
I don't plan on using a Blueray player. I only stream content from the above apps.

I'm aware of the HDMI ARC 4k passthrough, but how can i use this when the Atmos signal comes from my TV?

All this is very confusing.... HELP!

If you simply think of the HDMI as a bigger version of the optical wire and can carry more information and providing the TV you buy has eARC then all you need do is to plug into the appropriate points and if necessary tell your TV in the settings to use that connection it will send whatever that channel is outputting.

It is a simple HDMI connection to the soundbar utilising ARC. Most new TVs and soundbars are equipped with eARC which is a much better and more stable connection than ARC. ARC is restricted to a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus with any Atmos metadata contained within it and is the usual audio from the likes of Netfllix and Prime. eARC is actually capable of passing HD lossless audio.

Just go to the audio menu of your TV and select DD+ in that menu. You will also have to enable ARC under HDMI settings.

An optical connection cannot carry Atmos and is restricted to SD 5.1.

I just want confirmation, all I need to do to get Atmos to an LG SL7Y from my B9 is take an HDMI cable from HDMI 2 and plug it into the soundbar and adjust as in the picture?
Atmos.jpg

I have not as of yet got the soundbar, it will be in 2 weeks.

I just want confirmation, all I need to do to get Atmos to an LG SL7Y from my B9 is take an HDMI cable from HDMI 2 and plug it into the soundbar and adjust as in the picture?
View attachment 1374526

I have not as of yet got the soundbar, it will be in 2 weeks.
That looks about right.

You need to ensure the Soundbar is also eARC capable - if it only supports ARC you still hit limitations.

Joe

You need to ensure the Soundbar is also eARC capable - if it only supports ARC you still hit limitations.

Joe

Will it not be fine for streaming apps version of Atmos (DD+) as that's all they seem to want.

eARC's value comes in when connecting a UHD player for disc-based Atmos which is TrueHD and you wouldn't get over normal ARC.

For now yes - though you know what will happen over time and that’ll then require a swap out of the ARC enabled Soundbar!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom