1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Juiceloose, Jul 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi Folks,

I've recently purchased the 3802, Toshiba SD220 DVD and Mission FS2AV. Have managed to connect the FS2 to the 3802 and the 220 to the 3802 and have sound.

I don't seem to be able to get up the set up screen for the amp on the front panel of the amp to set up time delays and sub woofer setting though.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Juiceloose.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Individual speeker volume level including sub can be done from the front panel - from the buttons below the volume knob iirc, but it's in the manual somwhere - can't remember if distance setting can be done from there though...

Gary.

3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Gary,

Thank you for your advice.

If only certain things can be done from the front panel, what about everything else ??

Having seen the various socketry at the rear of the 3802, do I take it that there is another way of setting it up. Is it by using the TV as a monitor ? and if so, what do I need to connect between the two, coaxial or optical ? and where do I connect to ??

Sorry if my questions are straightforward but I'm new to the AV world.

Cheers,

Juiceloose.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    There's a 'monitor out' connection at the bottom rear (left hand side looking at the back), use an s-video or composite lead to a tv (s-vid has priority iirc), and that will display the set-up screen.

I have to have a video source running (such as a vcr) to carry the signal to my pc via dscaler (software deinterlacer) otherwise I can't see it, but I don't think you need that for an ordinary tv.

I'm not sure what else can be done from the front, or to what degree, as the manual doesn't seem that brilliant, but if you get the on screen display up, it makes it a lot easier...

HTH

Gary.

5. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Straight forward connection from the Monitor out to your TV. I use a composite to the front AV's on mine and then just put the cable behind the Amp when I dont need it.

Takes a bit of tweaking and lots of listening to get the FS2 sounding awsome but its worth the effort.

Have fun

Bill

6. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Denon AVC-A1D and have the same problem. the manual doesn't make it clear. So i guess i'll have to buy a new cable to get it up...

So do i buy an S-video to S-video cable and connect it from monitor 1 output on the amp to the s-video connection at the front of my panasonic 28pk3 TV, and then use the AV3 channel to get the menu up?

thanks.

7. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    You don't necessarily need an S-Video lead, you can just use a phono lead and connect it to the composite in on the front of your TV. (I only say that because you are maybe more likely to have a spare phono lead kicking about than an S-Video one)

8. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, i have a dual phono cable lying around. So would i just use half of it? And then what channel would i tune it into? I thought phono cables were different from composite cables. Ergh im so confused...

9. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    yes you can just use one half of it.

plug one end onto the Monitor out phone socket on the back of your amp and the other onto the yellow phone socket on the front of you TV. You then need to set the TV input source. It is probably AV3, but it will say in the manual (or you could just flick through them). You should put the amp in setup mode before you start looking for the signal (there is a button on the remote I guess)

Have fun
    Andy

10. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks for your advice guys, very much appreciated.

I bought the lead today and have the amp set up display on my tv screen.

Billduff, Have you got any tips/suggestions for optimum setting up of the FS2's and subwoofer ??

Thanks,

Juiceloose

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And digital coax too, don't forget that one. They're all different, aren't they ? That's what cablemakers want you to think....;)

How's the A1D ?

Mike.

12. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike, it's a nightmare. After finally getting the display up, i can find no way of getting sound out of the centre channel or sub. Both are switched on, both are displayed on the amp but neither produce sound. I'm fluent with all the options, i've tried different speakers and cables: It's all to do with the amp. I've phoned denon etc, who all expect a fault and need it sent to them. Considering the cost of the repair and the time it will take im just getting a refund, and then a 3802.

By the way, what i experienced of it's sound in stereo music and dvd(the channels i could get) was far from 'very impressive'. In fact, i would even go as far to say my old sony 1070 wasn't a far way off in quality. It's less controlled, but no more shrill.

Somehow this kind of bad luck plagues everything i buy. Hopefully a NEW 3802 won't yield any problems. It's down to parcel force most probably anyway. They took 10 days to deliver it, lost it in the process and most likely, dropped it.

Oh well. :mad:

13. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juiceloose,

Patience is the key. It takes a bit of time and each room and set of ears is different.

On the 3802 I have all the from speakers at '0db', the rears at '-2db' and the sub at '+2db'. This has increased the bass level dramatically and its sounding really good. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks before I go fiddling again.

Set the Bass Contour and Volume on the Subwoofer to midway and try it out, change the contour and volume as needed. (mine are now set at 4 for both).

There has been a few posts in the speakers section about setting these up and a few guys have chipped in ideas, might be worth a look there or check for posts from MartinCo as some of his comments are very helpful.

I think mine is sounding pretty good at the moment though.

14. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Billduff,

Thanks again for your advice, I'll set it up the same as yours and then play around from there if needed.

Cheers,

Juiceloose.