1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up crt ,s

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by grahamricho, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    having set up my own crt,with good results i had a lot of e-mail,s from people saying they would set my crt up for only £200-300,if not the life of it could be at risk and it may not last long?what are life threating set up to crts?my brightness is set at 75 due to the thx test disc set up for brightness.most of the deflections are set at mid way 50 ,so do i worry,do i pay somebody £100 per hour?somebody who has no qualifactions.i,m a tv video engineer
    with a city and guilds 2240 in electronic servicing

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Graham,

Have you reported this unwanted SPAM to the moderators?

It is perfectly possible to have the thing set up with settings at or near mid point and still be damaging it. However I think your job means you will have worked out what can knacker it and will have it sorted....

Gordon

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,
    Were these emails from members of these boards?
    Just wondering.

Eric

4. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    if deflection was set at mid way point how would i?whats the worst thing one could do?

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Graham

£2-300 not a bad price but its does depend on what that entails.

If you have the following correct you generally will be ok.

• It is EXACTLY the correct distance from the screen
    • It is EXACTLY on the centre line and right angle to the screen
    • It is EXACTLY the correct height in relationship to the screen
    • The Brightness and Contast have been set correctly using a setup disk or pattern. (ie AVIA or THX test pattern)

It is not possible to give values for settings like brightness and contast because it depends on the inpendance of your cables the output of your video source.

CRT projectors do have to be "tuned" and there is no simple on/off setting to getting the best out of one.

Getting the first 50% is easy - follow the manual
    The next 30% takes a fair bit of skill and knowledge of how the various components interact with each other.

The last 20% is just plain art and takes as long as the others added together.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think its all hype.i set up mine in less than an hour from scratch...

chucky

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,138

Really? What kind? How good is it? Only ask 'cos to get it set up right takes days normally. first set up, leave for a few days to settle then reconverge properly, so thats a long hour.

You have my attention, please inform us how you managed this please...

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Do rear projection tellys count then?;) :) (only joking, don't flame me)

Regards

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crt of course...:D

chucky

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Oh dear - I spot a chompy. Finger... moving... towards... delete button....

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Want a job?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know who this chumpy guy is. i was making a fair comment.I did set up mine in an hour.Whats wrong with that.

chucky

13. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What projector do you own, is it ceiling or table mounted?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a cieling mounted seleco 320 which i bought secondhand for 1000k. i've also built a fantastic hushbox to go around it. Its now nearly as quiet as those little ldc projectoers.
    building that was very quick but i had to be careful to get the holes aligned in the front for the lensces to poke through without obsructing them. the jig saw work took me quite a while.
    if anyone wants advice on how to build these i can help. im quite an expert with these things now...

chucky

15. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used to own a Seleco 400 and it took me more than an hour to find the screw to loosen the CRT for manual convergence of r+b.
    After that install was straightforward enough though rocketscience compared to my Barco.
    Nevertheless it took a few hours to set up and calibrate with VE
    I have been doing this as a hobby for over five years yet still plan on having Roland check it over/fine tune/condemn and restart when he comes up with the fan silencing kit

16. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Jeff
    fan silencing kit sounds interesting is it going to be an expensive conversion though?
    If setting a crt up only takes an hour it would save me a fortune in food i usually have to give Roland breakfast and dinner!!;) :D ;) and sometimes tea !!!

Roland just a quicky re-setting up you mentioned centre line on set up i recently moved my screen to the right by 1 to 1 and a half inches will this effect the centre line and possibilly halm the pj, is it possible for me to check and adjust the centre line? cheers

richard

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Roland's away on hols for a few days I think so he isn't likely to respond. However,

The trick to great performance from a CRT (or one of them) is correct physical placement. You want the raster centred on the tube face and the image centred on the raster. Then you want to get the raster as wide as possible to use as much phosphor as possible without going too close to edge of the tube or you can warm it up and cause premature failure.

If Roland ws really pushing the raster size and you have now moved it on the face of the tube to compensate for moving the screen then you may be dangeroulsy close to the edge of the tube face.....Do this to check. If you have AVIA put up a 10ire field (if you don't find a dark scene in a film). Now turn contrast off. Turn brightness up to about 90% and look in to tube faces. You should see the dark projected image and it should be framed within a darker rectangle. The widest dark part is the raster and the inner part is the image off the disc. Make sure there's at least 10mm from edge of tube face to edge of raster. Then let Roland check it when he's around again.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

18. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gordon
    thanks for the screen info i will e-mail u by wednesday on that subject, going back to the centre line set up i dont have the avia test disc is there anyother way of checking without using the disc?

cheers

richard

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Rich: You don't need AVIA in actual fact to check the centre line part. You need some string and a pencil and a tape measure.

I've just been back to look at Rolands post and he is talking about the physical relationship of the projector to the screen. Here's a way to check if you are exactly parallel to the screen and centred.

Get a piece of string. Have someone hold the end in the middle of the screen. Now run out the string till it's about 50cm away from the projector, MARK THIS POINT ON THE STRING. Now get the other person to hold the string on the left edge of the screen. With the string held in place draw an arc with a pencil along the line created at the mark on the string as you arc the string in front of projector. Now do the same thing from other side of screen housing. Next mark a further 30cm up the string and do it again from both sides. You should now have to intersections of arcs. If you draw an line through them both towards the screen you should be drawing a line exactly at 90 degrees to the screen surface in the middle of the viewable area (presuming the viewable area is centred in the middle of the screen housing).

This line should go straight down the middle of the green tube in the centre line of the projector. You can already work out from this that if it was in the correct position to start with and you've moved the screen then it isn't anymore.......How much this reduces picture quality is unknown as I haven't seen what your pics like.

There are other ways to check centre alignment but this is a fairly decent one as long as the string is always tight and held at the same part of the screen every time.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.