1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up by ear?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevegreen, Jul 29, 2004.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I am expecting delivery of my SVS on Monday and I want to spend as little time getting it 'about right' as possible.

All my other speakers are balanced as well as they can be at the moment, all done with an SPL. When i get the sub it will be resetting the speaker settings to small and trying to integrate the sub by ear.

Couple of questions:

1, Would i be better off trying to integrate the sub with music first?
    2. If i were to use music, would a DVD Audio disc, something reasonably bass heavy, be the best thing to use?
    3. I know CD's only go down to a certain frequency, do DVD Audio discs go lower?

I do tend to listen to a lot of music, but i get the feeling movies will be back on the list as a higher priority when i get the sub.

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30,150
    I've always used Phil's voice on Location, Location. He's got quite a resonant voice so as soon as you can hear the sub affecting it you have gone too high. I tried this approach with our new driver, put on AOTC and our ears are still bleeding :laugh: So I'd not reccommend that approach anymore.

Nothing goes lower than a 5.1 DVD track so to set by ear I'd choose a very recent DVD (ie one where they're getting the hang of 5.1) and set it so you don't twitch too much every time someone closes a door :D

I'm sure the SVS owners will have better ideas than me.

Dave

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is... well, wrong or at least it is in my experience.

I have the Eat Static B-World Album on CD and it has very real bass between 10 and 20hz.
    I've even monitored the frequency plot of the music as it span off the CD using TrueRTA and its very clear to see.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30,150
    Quote from me "Nothing goes lower than a 5.1 DVD track"
    :oops: :blush: :suicide:
    I stand corrected :clap:

Out of interest, does anyone know how low vinyl went?

Dave

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I balanced my sub with my stereo speakers by ear on music CD. It just sounded so right at one point on the gain scale I simply left it at that. If it sounds like too much bass on music then it is your own ears which are making the judgement. So, if it sounds right it is as right as it gets with your own ears.

Using an SPL meter on test tones (and correcting the figures) will tell you how close you are within the average of the peaks and troughs in the response.
    Fine tuning will then take place by hopefully moving the sub to an optimum position. For flattest overall response in your room in various positions. Possibly using the phase control to smooth things out further.

If it's of interest: After a couple of weeks of superb musical enjoyment I moved my SVS into the corner as an experiment. This was after reading repeatedly about a corner psition being the best starting position.This increased the bass output dramatically! But it was a "softer", "warmer" bass that intruded badly on the music.
    So I moved the sub back to its original position and was again rewarded with the same dry, clean & effortless bass that I had started with. This position later showed a much flatter response on tone testing than the corner position.

So trust your own ears. At least on music. :)

Nimby

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Yep, thats what I hear. Unfortunately no amount of moving it around (within the corner position as middle of the room isnt very practical) alters it very much.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Steve
    Thing is with music my trim(bass management) on my h/kavr8500 is set at -7db but with movies -4db i found that movies rq more gain but music less so, with the h/k you have to set each input independently so it isnt a problem and the nad t753 i used to have you could alter the amps bass managment on the fly with the remote.I also have my svs out of the corner which in my room sounds best so have a fiddle when it arrives and let us know how you get on.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)