Setting up Atmos compatible system with AVR-S750H

ckelly14

Novice Member
Currently have a older Yamaha receiver with wired 5.1 surround in the family room with main and surround speakers in the ceiling. There is also a wired center channel and subwoofer.

Looking to upgrade for atmos compatibility and using Heos app for WiFi streaming of Amazon Music HD content.

Is it possible to use the four in ceiling wired speakers as surround and "height" speakers, and set up new Heos wireless speakers as front/surround options?

Looking at the AVR-S750H as an affordable options.

Thanks

gibbsy

If you are looking at an Atmos layout then all of your 5.1 speakers must be at, or just above, a seated head height. Only those speakers in the Atmos should be in the ceiling. You're maximum will be 5.1.2 and they will need to be wired.

If you are keeping the surrounds in the ceiling then personally I wouldn't bother with going for Atmos as there is little point as there has to be a good separation between the base layer and the Atmos domain.

Dasiz

I believe the HEOS speakers will only work as part of a HT using the dedicated HEOS AVR released a few years back. Off the top of my head i think that was only 5.1 anyways.

ckelly14

Novice Member
Thanks for the responses. Certainly seems that the receiver does not work at all with Heos speakers to create a main surround setup, despite the Heos label. I assume "Heos built in" just means that I can stream my apps via Heos, not necessarily because they can use Heos speakers. Very confusing branding.

I'm not thrilled with the quality of my current old definitive technologies middle speaker and the ceiling speakers for music playback. I may just have to add wiring for front speakers and use the ceiling speakers for surround only.

ckelly14

Novice Member
If you are looking at an Atmos layout then all of your 5.1 speakers must be at, or just above, a seated head height. Only those speakers in the Atmos should be in the ceiling. You're maximum will be 5.1.2 and they will need to be wired.

If you are keeping the surrounds in the ceiling then personally I wouldn't bother with going for Atmos as there is little point as there has to be a good separation between the base layer and the Atmos domain.
So I really need to add traditional front and surround speakers to make this work. Wanted a way to do this wirelessly but don't think I can accomplish this.

gibbsy

Here's a link to the Dolby Atmos set up guide.

ckelly14

Novice Member
Looking at the set-up, I may set up as a 3.1.2 by adding a passive 3 channel sound bar. I would need to run additional speaker wire to the center channel behind the TV. I guess you can't set up a 3.1.4 system and I would have to disable 2 of the overhead speakers (currently operating as surround speakers)?

ckelly14

Novice Member
Also, with the AVR-S750H, is it possible to use all the speakers as 7.1 surround and also set up the 3.1.4 Atmos? I guess I don't really understand how I set up Atmos in the receiver...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your AV receiver has no ability to facilitate a 3.1.4 setup. You can only have 2 Atmos height, upwatd firing or ceiling speakers in a setup if using your current AV receiver. Also note that it predaye Dolby fascilitating Atmos via a setup less than 5.1.2 so you'd need to have a 5.1 floor layout plus 2 upward firing, height or ceiling speakers if wanting Atmos.

There's technically no such thing as Atmos 3.1.

The only configuration that would result in Atmos if using the AVR-S750H is a 5.1.2 setup.

ckelly14

Novice Member
Your AV receiver has no ability to facilitate a 3.1.4 setup. You can only have 2 Atmos height, upwatd firing or ceiling speakers in a setup if using your current AV receiver. Also note that it predaye Dolby fascilitating Atmos via a setup less than 5.1.2 so you'd need to have a 5.1 floor layout plus 2 upward firing, height or ceiling speakers if wanting Atmos.

The only configuration that would result in Atmos if using the AVR-S750H is a 5.1.2 setup.
Ok, so I would set up the rear ceiling as they are now (left and right rear surround), and designate the current ceiling front speakers as Atmos ceiling speakers, and the new listening height sound bar (just order the KEF KET7003 sound bar) as new front and center speakers.

Would that work? I understand that the rear surround speakers would be best at seated height but I have no way to do that in my current living room.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's very little point having an Atmos setup if you intend placing both the Atmos and the surround speakers on the ceiling. All the speakers apart from the Atmos speakers are supposed to be at you seated head height. If locating the surrounds on the ceiling along with the Atmos speakers then how would you distinguish the Atmos effects from the surround effects?

ckelly14

Novice Member
I guess I was confused by your last post. So I should set up a 3.1.2 system and just leave the rear ceiling speakers off?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You cannot have a 3.1.2 configuration with the AVR-S750H;

You should maybe simply set the system up as a 6.1 setup and regard 2 of the ceiling speakers as being surrounds.

ckelly14

Novice Member
You cannot have a 3.1.2 configuration with the AVR-S750H;

You should maybe simply set the system up as a 6.1 setup and regard 2 of the ceiling speakers as being surrounds.

Ok understood, I ordered the receiver (arriving Friday) and I didn't know about this limitation.

ckelly14

Novice Member

Hate to ask, but why would this be 6.1 not 7.1?

ckelly14

Novice Member
Well, I added the KEF sound bar. Not at all happy with the sound, very tinny sound with no bass. I had to set the crossover to 130 and most of the bass came from the subwoofer, which overpowered everything.

Spent a few days tinkering with it then gave up. Purchased the Polk signature S35 as a replacement to my old center channel and it was obvious that my old receiver was not working correctly. Sounds great with the Polk and my original ceiling speakers. Would like to convince my wife to add a couple of floor speakers but that's not going to happen. I guess I will have to pass on Atmos for now...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom