1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up ASW675

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JonLeach, Jun 30, 2004.

1. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi
    i have just purchased a B&W ASW675, couldn't get a SVS as the misses wouldn't let me have one.
    Me kit consists of DYnaudio 42's and i used to have a MJ pro50, which i thought was a good sub till my room started shaking!! i seem to have a on/off problem were if i calibrate the sub through my amps test tones the sub is so quiet at normal listening. if i turn the sub up a tiny little bit the sub overwhelms everything else. i think or is it that i'm not used to hearing such low bass!

don't think my neighbours do though too. has anyone had a similar experience,

Do i need to purchase a test tone DVD.

Cheers

Jon

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    When you say you are calibrating using the test tones I asume you are setting up to -75db using an spl meter. Calibration dvd's like Avia are slightly more accurate but not hugely different to amps test tones, or certainly in my experiences.
    You are saying that your sub is too quiet at normal listening levels, but are you confusing too quiet with a well integrated sub? With a properly setup subwoofer it should not be obvious that you have bass pumping out from a black box, but a seamless bass blending nicely with your mains.
    Turn the sub off and you will soon realize what is actually missing!
    I had a B&W ASW675 myself and I never had any problems with setting it up and it is an excellent sub.
    If you still think you are not getting enough out of the sub, maybe check the phase. If the sub is positioned to the front of your listening position it should usually be set to 0. Try changing it to 180 to see if you get more bass from changining the phase.