1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up and Using Diskless HTPC with Venturcom BXP (aka Network Boot)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Branxx, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been experimenting which a diskless audio/video PC using Venturcom BXP solution for a while with very encouraging results. In short there are some important benefits:
    • Improved Audio/Video Performance
    • Lower Operational Noise
    • Lower Operational Heat
    A more involved discussion on this topic is going on AVSForums with some interesting comments and counter-suggestions.

The main problem with this solution getting wider acceptance was the price of the software that enables a Windows XP client to boot over network. This has now been resolved with a limited amount of licenses being offered at promotional cost of $300 (1 server + 3 clients).

If anyone is interested in participating in this offer please send me a PM.

2. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi branxx
    i have been thinking about this for secondary htpc 'clients' running off a server for boot.
    i was going to use win98 booting over the lan to do this. i havent read the avs threads on this but will do so..is there a major showstopper in doing a win98 build that the bxp solution solves?

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WebLoader,

All my experiments were with booting Windows XP over the network. Check BXP web site for extra info on W98.

With Windows XP BXP appear completely transparent as if the system is booting and operating from a local HD.

4. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Branxx

I have now had a chance to read through the threads, and do a trawl on the web. amazingly i cant find any other solution that does this apart from BXP.
    I looked on their site for a download but it is a tel. no to call - can you pm me details of an eval?
    cheers

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have ask Venturcom for the access code to download demo version. I'll send you a PM with it.

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Venturcom wants to close BXP special offer by the end of next week. Anyone interested please send me PM.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The offer closes tomorrow. Only a few packages left. They come at $300 for 1 server + 3 client licenses.

Anyone interested please send me PM.