Setting up and learning about my VP

CrispyToast

Established Member
Reaction score
I have now got the iscan HD+ VP and I am using it with the Sharp LC32P50E and so far so good I have a great picture on SD feeds from my SkyHD box.
I have set my system up as follows:
Sky HD into iscan from HDMI too DVI input with Sky set to display only 1080i output (sound bypassing the iscan straight to amp) and the iscan set to 1080i @ 50HZ output from DVI into TV HDMI connector.
I have also the Panny DVD feeding the iscan through the comp1 input (again bypassing the audio) and have set the play back from the Panny to non Progressive.

This seems to work quite well, but not sure this is the optimal settings for my kit. The iscan shows it is processing a signal even when fed a HD channel input (did'nt think it should do this) and when I tried the correct resolution for the Sharp (960x540) the picture was to far right and I could not bring it over far enough to centre it. Any advice on this or should'nt I worry about it and stick to the 1080I settings. Also there are many things the iscan can do that I know very little about so could someone point me in the right direction for info on these advanced settings and what's recommended for good improvements.
All info appreciated :smashin:

^^^No opinions on the above^^^

In the meantime I have been playing around with my setup trying to learn as I go.
One thing I am stuck on is getting a HD component signal out of the SkyHD box through the iscan HD+ and then onto the TV.
If I put the component leads into the TV directly it all works fine, but of course my SD programs look far worse than through the iscan. With this in mind I put the component from the skyHD box into the comp1 input in the iscan HD+ and have tried all the available outputs, but cannot get a picture on my TV this way. Reading the manual any HD source fed by component should pass straight out though the VGA port (so when HDMI did not work I was not surprised) and the power button is showing green as it should. Unfortunatly the Sharp LC32P50E does not have a VGA port so a VGA to component lead (tbh this was a cheapy, Red,Blue & Green too VGA) was bought for this task and although I get a tiny little ficker of the picture it does not work on any resolution. I am guessing problem could be the lead and maybe a special type (DVDO's own) needs to be used.
Have other people had success inputting HD into a iscan HD+ with component.
Can someone give me some help with this problem :lease:

CrispyToast said:
I get a tiny little ficker of the picture it does not work on any resolution. I am guessing problem could be the lead and maybe a special type (DVDO's own) needs to be used.
is teh component output not working for DVD? If not (Component to component is the simplest process) then it could be the cable (is the Iscan New? or Secondhand?)

SD channels through component look shocking anyhow so don't bother.

hornydragon said:
is teh component output not working for DVD? If not (Component to component is the simplest process) then it could be the cable (is the Iscan New? or Secondhand?)

Will have to borrow fathers upscaleable DVD player to check component input from another source.
The iscan is 2nd hand.

choddo2006 said:
SD channels through component look shocking anyhow so don't bother.
Maybe, but HD channels through HDMI don't look that good either.
I am trying to see what works best for me, but concerned now that I may have a fault with my iscan.

hornydragon said:
erm what about your ES10 does that work via component? ie can you get anything on component output?

Just been trying that, no luck on the VGA>component output, but works fine outputed through HDMI in SD or upscaled.
Cheers

Hi

I have SKY HD running through my Iscan HD via component and it is fine.

I think your problems will be down to one of two things, and it can't hurt to look at both of them !:)

1. The various component input resolutions which your LCD supports may be far less in number than you think, so perhaps check in the manual that what your Iscan is chucking out is acceptable to the display via YPbPr.

2. If there's nothing wrong with the resolution, go into the Iscan 'Config' menu and do a factory reset, that will generally sort it 99% of the time.

Cheers

Canoehq said:
Hi

I have SKY HD running through my Iscan HD via component and it is fine.

I think your problems will be down to one of two things, and it can't hurt to look at both of them !:)

1. The various component input resolutions which your LCD supports may be far less in number than you think, so perhaps check in the manual that what your Iscan is chucking out is acceptable to the display via YPbPr.

2. If there's nothing wrong with the resolution, go into the Iscan 'Config' menu and do a factory reset, that will generally sort it 99% of the time.

Cheers

1: TV plays direct from Sky box and at HD res iscan HD+ should pass though.
2: Did this about a week before I tried component setup, so think it's ok.

I think the lead I am using is the most likely problem, Canoehq what lead are you using from the SkyHD box too your TV?

CrispyToast said:
Canoehq what lead are you using from the SkyHD box too your TV?

I don't have a direct connection btw my Sky box and display, there's an Iscan HD in the middle !

Between Iscan and plasma, I use a VGA to 3 RCA cable (actually it's a Bettercables Silver Serpent HD15 - RGBHV cable but I only use 3 of the cables at the breakout end).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom