Setting up an xbox series x

M3stripe

Novice Member
Hi All

I have managed to get an xbox series x for my nephew and his parents have asked me to set it up for him before christmas. The hope is that he won't be stuck waiting 8 hours for the updates and games to download on christmas day.

I have his user details but does anyone know if my nephew will see the setup activity for the series x on his old xbox one?

I might not be able to avoid this but it if possible it would be nice to keep this as a surprise.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

adbailey18

The only way he will know something is going on is if you sign in and he's already on, it will sign him out!

M3stripe

Novice Member
The only way he will know something is going on is if you sign in and he's already on, it will sign him out!
Ahhh that makes sense i am going to do it overnight so hopefully it should be good. He may need to sign back in afterwards I guess.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
To add to the above, you may also need to ask to make sure you can work with any two-step verification linked to the account.

If you prefer, you could also set up a "dummy" user account. That would help you set up firmware updates for the console that would translate across all accounts without further updates.

Depending on what games he plays, some of the games will have huge enhanced updates for the Series X, but not all even have such updates - in which case he should already have them installed. By way of example, Destiny 2 is about 70gb for the Series X patch. Might want to time it so he's not on if you're downloading huge updates - and I'd suggest after he goes to bed on Christmas Eve might be the best time.

M3stripe

Novice Member
To add to the above, you may also need to ask to make sure you can work with any two-step verification linked to the account.

If you prefer, you could also set up a "dummy" user account. That would help you set up firmware updates for the console that would translate across all accounts without further updates.

Depending on what games he plays, some of the games will have huge enhanced updates for the Series X, but not all even have such updates - in which case he should already have them installed. By way of example, Destiny 2 is about 70gb for the Series X patch. Might want to time it so he's not on if you're downloading huge updates - and I'd suggest after he goes to bed on Christmas Eve might be the best time.
Right ok that might be a good move. If I setup a dummy account and download some free games like rocket league and fortnight, would he be able to play them when he signs into his account?

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Right ok that might be a good move. If I setup a dummy account and download some free games like rocket league and fortnight, would he be able to play them when he signs into his account?
I more meant for the firmware (operating system and so on), which should be fine. For games, that should actually work as well - in theory. But then you'd have to buy them, as you couldn't download and update anything but free games, so it's not really workable in practice.

Indiana Jones

I more meant for the firmware (operating system and so on), which should be fine. For games, that should actually work as well - in theory. But then you'd have to buy them, as you couldn't download and update anything but free games, so it's not really workable in practice.

FYI you can download retail games to a console via the Xbox app without buying them.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
TBH I wouldn't worry about getting it done in advance it. Doing all the setup stuff is half the fun and all part of getting the new console. I'm sure he won't mind as it's a pretty generous/thoughtful surprise gift.

adbailey18

TBH I wouldn't worry about getting it done in advance it. Doing all the setup stuff is half the fun and all part of getting the new console. I'm sure he won't mind as it's a pretty generous/thoughtful surprise gift.
I agree to some extent, depending on the age of the nephew though, they may just want to jump straight in.

I enjoyed setting up my Series X, didn't even bother transferring my saved settings from the cloud, did everything from scratch!

What I didn't enjoy though was waiting for games to download and copy across from the external!!

Indiana Jones

I agree to some extent, depending on the age of the nephew though, they may just want to jump straight in.

I enjoyed setting up my Series X, didn't even bother transferring my saved settings from the cloud, did everything from scratch!

What I didn't enjoy though was waiting for games to download and copy across from the external!!

Agreed, it’s the downloading of the games that could mean the difference between being able to be up and playing within minutes or several days depending on their connection and of course xmas server availability.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom