Setting up an LCD set?

M

mc_blue

I have recentely ordered a Philips 17PF9945 and I hope to recieve it in a matter of a few days. I would just like to know what factors to look out for when unpacking and setting up the screen. For example checking the panel for dead pixels, scratches etc.

I would just like to know if anyone else has had any major problems with new flat panels that have resulted in the set being sent back. What was wrong with your purchase and how could you perhaps prevent problems in the future.

Thanks in advance mc_blue ;)

A dead pixel on my laptop is red. I see it more when a 'movie' is playing as it should change colour more. Strangley enough on a white background (document) it's not that obvious! Just look at the screen, flaws with the screen will stay static. I think if there are any of the above issues, you'll have them on delivery, & should see them soon. I've a flat monitor & that's A1, i don't think there's preventative stuff to be done. LCDs don't get screen burn. Hope it's ok.

Hi. That was a set I was going to buy but the store was getting rid of Sharp 10" lcds for £200 so I got one of those instead. It has one dead pixel -a little red dot wich is clearly visible on the blue screen but I can not see it when watching TV. If I was paying more money however I would demand a perfect screen and not accept a dead pixel. Hopefully you will have none.

I've got the 17PF9945, and haven't suffered any dead pixels. Dead pixels are either permanently stuck in the off or on state. Of the two, the latter are the much more obvious as 'dead' pixels are often masked the working ones that surround them. A good way to spot pixels that are stuck in the 'on' state is to run a black signal through it- this ought to show any pixels that are stuck in the illuminated state.

Setup-wise the philips is fairly simple, I've not realy had any problems other than the fact that the sets scart socket didn't lock terribly well with the cheap scart lead I first tried. This resulted in RGB signals losing a colour (usually green). Upgrading to a better quality lead with more robust pins seemed to solve this problem.

Once set up it is worth tweaking the out of he box screen settings. This thread http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112874 has the settings that I found most suitable, but your taste may be different from mine.

It is also worth noting if you plan on using an external sound system, that the audio outputs on the set have the right amount of delay to compensate for the lip sync issues caused by the screens deinterlacing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom