Setting up an AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dumfy, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,

This topic may have been covered previously, but I've jusy bought the Marantz SR7200 and am looking for advice on how to set up the audio channels correctly. I guess most of it will be subjective but are there any guidelines I could use? Like, should the dB levels on all the channels be the same? Should the rears be a little louder? All suggestions greatfully received. Thanks.

PS>>>>>>>I'm using the KEF 2005 sub/sat speakers.

Regards

Mark:)

2. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No the rears should definitely not be louder, for a perfect set-up you can not rely on the levels on the amplifier as, unless you have matching Loudspeakers (i.e. model not make) their sensitivity will vary. Also the sound level drops according to distance.

The best method is to use a SPL meter (Sound Pressure Level) and the amplifiers test tones, place the meter at the seating position & head height and adjust the channels for the same reading.

Unless you have a very good SPL meter you probably may not be able to set up the Sub in this manner you may have to use your ears the that channel.

Hope that helps.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get yourself a sound level meter (radioshack digital spl £39.99) set level to each channel at 75db, sub is a bit harder, there have been many suggestions posted on the forum, as low as 69db but thats a bit to low for me, iv`e set mine to 75db but it is down to personal taste. Sounds ten times better than it did when it was set up by ear, a few channels were quite a bit out, especially the rears. Well worth it. ;)

4. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help Guys!

Much appreciated. I'll be getting myself a sound pressure meter as soon as.

Thanks again

;)

5. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57

Hello there,
    Quick question, what volume would i have to set on the amp and in the set up menu for speaker adjustment what should it be ie -10---0-or-- +10