• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

setting up aerial for Freeview

ollymoran

Standard Member
Hi, I have just bought an aerial that I am hoping to receive freeview on. I would like to install it on the wall of the building and run the coax through the wall and into a bedroom. I think I am ok with attaching the coax plug to the coax lead but am bit confused about how the coax runs from the actual aerial. i know it goes into the black box on the aerial but how exactly does this connect up?? i am a complete novice so any step by step help would be appreciated!

i live in a strong signal area.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi, I have just bought an aerial that I am hoping to receive freeview on. I would like to install it on the wall of the building and run the coax through the wall and into a bedroom. I think I am ok with attaching the coax plug to the coax lead but am bit confused about how the coax runs from the actual aerial. i know it goes into the black box on the aerial but how exactly does this connect up?? i am a complete novice so any step by step help would be appreciated!

i live in a strong signal area.

It depends on the quality of the aerial, if it's a high quality design with a balun it will have a satellite f plug connection

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Others use a clamp arrangement with the copper screen clamped with the clamp and the centre core fitted into a screw clamped hole.

ON some very poor quality aerials you just have a screw on each end of the dipole, again you connect the screen to one and the centre core to the other (It does not matter which way you connect)

BradG

not that it would aply to the wiring of it, just with you saying your in a strong signal area which aerial did you go for?

ollymoran

Standard Member
hi,

In the end i bought the SLx 27887K 32 Element Digital TV Aerial + Kit Its for strong/medium signal areas and specifically works for Freeview. Could of come with some wiring instructions though! Think I know how to wire the coax to the actual aerial but could do with some diagrams if anyone has??

Thanks

MarkE19

In the end i bought the SLx 27887K 32 Element Digital TV Aerial + Kit Its for strong/medium signal areas and specifically works for Freeview.
as does a wire coat hanger if the signal is good enough! There is no such thing as a Freeview specific aerial - if it picks up analogue then it 'can' pick up Freeview. Some areas in the country require a different band aerial for the best Freeview reception than one for their analogue reception, but this is not that common. Also a wideband aerial will be poor with reception of Group A transmitions so a Group A specific aerial would be best.

There is a lot of misselling and misunderstanding in the run up to DSO and some people could end up with poor or no TV once their analogue is shut down.

Think I know how to wire the coax to the actual aerial but could do with some diagrams if anyone has??
Page 4 of This PDF (will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it) shows how to wire up the aerial.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom