Setting up a system from scratch

prospero

Standard Member
Just joined the forum as I am setting up a system from scratch and would appreciate some advice.
My budget is £1000 to include all cabling, stands etc (as I said starting from scratch).
I listen to CD's but also have a lot of MP3/AIFF's on my Macbook Pro.

Main tastes are fairly wide but always comes back to classic rock of the 70's.

I would prefer to start off with separates as I am a bit old fashioned and they seem to be more easily extended in the future.
My first priority is a CD/Amp/Speaker set up (Bookshelf or floor standing) with a future expansion to include an internet radio/network streaming capability.
I am currently looking at the Marantz PM and CD 6004 as they seem to be very popular.Not sure about speakers.

My question: For my budget could I get some ideas of other makes and models to consider that would be able to meet my current needs and be compatible for future expansion?

I shall be coming over to the UK in January (I currently live in Belgium) and will audition suggestions then (Stuff is way cheaper in the UK at the moment).

Thank you for your indulgence
Chris

formbypc

Novice Member
Starting point for Internet Radio/Streaming would probably be the Squeezebox Touch, currently at around £220 - 250

Starting point for connecting Mac to HiFi probably the Behringer UCA202 at £20 or so.

That leaves you a little over £700 for CD, Amp, Speakers and all cables.

prospero

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, the squeezebox may be an option. Any further suggestions for the CD/Amp/Speaker combo or a good pair of speakers for the Marantz??

Chris

prospero

Standard Member
Just a quick update on what I bought this week during my planned trip to the UK. Richer Sounds in Newcastle were very helpful and indulged me for over an hour and a half with various combos. I eventually went for:
Marantz CD and PM 6004 with Mission MX3 floorstanders connected with Chord carnival silverscreener. I also bought a Squeezebox but haven't connected it up yet.
So far I am very happy with it although the cd player snapped an old Genesis cd this morning, hopefully a one off but I will test it further.
The Missions are very involving and controlled compared to the Tannoy V4's I auditioned although I am still working on the best placement. They are in a big room with tiled floors.

A request: I haven't bi-wired as yet, what are the advantages of doing this also how long does it normally take to burn in speakers like this?

Thank you very much for your help throughout this forum, very much appreciated.
Chris

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Clarify you current budget of £1000? You mention CD/Amp/Speaker plus wire and cable, can we limit it to that, or does audio streaming come into that budget.

If we allow about £200 for wire, cable, and stand, though it could be less, that leave about £800 of CD/Amp/Speakers. Breaking that down, we are somewhat looking at CD=£200, Amp=£200, Speaker=£400. Though that could be amended to £250/£250/£300.

That doesn't necessarily dictate how to spend your money, it simply establishes a starting perspective, you are free to spend more or less in any area as you feel necessary.

To add streaming, count on at least another £200 or more.

As a suggestion, more so to just frame the possibilities, consider this -

Superfi - YAMAHA CDS300 CD PLAYER

Superfi - YAMAHA CDS700 CD PLAYER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS300 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS500 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS NEO 3 V2 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Sonos Zoneplayer 90 - Google Search

Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Google Search

Again, I'm simply trying to put your budget and your new potential system into perspective. There are other amps, other CD player, and other speaker at roughly the same price. It is just down to the quality and features you want.

That should help lend some perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

peritus

Banned
Clarify you current budget of £1000? You mention CD/Amp/Speaker plus wire and cable, can we limit it to that, or does audio streaming come into that budget.

If we allow about £200 for wire, cable, and stand, though it could be less, that leave about £800 of CD/Amp/Speakers. Breaking that down, we are somewhat looking at CD=£200, Amp=£200, Speaker=£400. Though that could be amended to £250/£250/£300.

That doesn't necessarily dictate how to spend your money, it simply establishes a starting perspective, you are free to spend more or less in any area as you feel necessary.

To add streaming, count on at least another £200 or more.

As a suggestion, more so to just frame the possibilities, consider this -

Superfi - YAMAHA CDS300 CD PLAYER

Superfi - YAMAHA CDS700 CD PLAYER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS300 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS500 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS NEO 3 V2 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Sonos Zoneplayer 90 - Google Search

Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Google Search

Again, I'm simply trying to put your budget and your new potential system into perspective. There are other amps, other CD player, and other speaker at roughly the same price. It is just down to the quality and features you want.

That should help lend some perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

He's already bought the system by the looks of it...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom