Question Setting up a SVS Ultra PC 13

grahamricho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all just has a SVS Ultra delivered the PC 13.

I have a few questions about the settings available? I'm setting it up with my two channel pre amp.

I'm also using an Antimode so I assume I set the Sub up first them run the Antimode ?

Going through the menu on the DSP :

1. Volume....This is quiet straight forward setting the volume to match the the main speakers with the aid of REW and a SPL meter.

2. High pass... I assume this is used if you have your main speakers connected, I don't so I've disabled this?

3. Low pass....I assume this is used to select the crossover frequency, or what frequency you want the sub to start working at?

4. Low pass slope...what is the slope?

5. Phase degree? How do you decide what degree you set it at ? Do you play a bass test tone and then with SPL set it at the highest reading on the SPL?

6. High pass delay...again if I ain't connecting main speakers to sub, I don't need to bother with it ?

7. Room gain comp...mine is in a 5 x3 room (small) so I've set it at 40htz.

8. Subwoofer tune...used depending on how many ports you have bungled up ?

7. Peq. To boost or cut chosen frequencies ? But what does the Q do ? I read somewhere the lower the Q number the wider surrounding frequencies will be cut So if you want to cut a narrow spike you would have it on the highest Q number 14.4 ?

Hope that all makes sense?

I'm using a Bryston stereo pre amp with the output going to the Antimode then to the SVS, I've disabled the Anti Mode while I set up the sub, then I will do a Antimode sweep.

After I've got my stereo side sorted I have a Pioneer AV amp which the LFE channel plugs into the Antimode and will let the Pioneer do its automatic set up with the Antimode turned on, is this the correct way of setting it up.

From the initial play about with the SVS it sounds awesome!

Any help welcomed x

>>5. Phase degree? How do you decide what degree you set it at ?
>> Do you play a bass test tone and then with SPL set it at the highest reading on the SPL?

I started here

Press Reviews & Awards | Best Speakers & Subwoofers – tagged "SB13-Ultra" – SVS

and found out this one in a minute or so

The Poor Audiophile: SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Review
Getting the phase correct on a subwoofer is important an easy to do. If you don’t know how to set a subwoofer’s phase, here’s a primer:
  1. Play pink noise from your receiver or play static from an FM station.
  2. From your listening position, measure the sound output using an SPL (sound pressure level) meter that is set to C-weighted and slow. If you don’t have an SPL meter, order the $35 analog meter from Radio Shack.
  3. Whichever phase setting produces the loudest SPL reading is the correct phase.
I tested the phase of each subwoofer with my Anthem AVM50v’s system-generated Pink Noise. Unsurprisingly setting the phase to zero provided the loudest SPL setting. (Tip: If you don’t have an SPL meter and are placing the subwoofers at the front of the room and near the same plane as your main speakers, then you can safely set zero as the phase).

I ran a bass pink noise test tone and then with my SPL I turned the phase control, there was not a lot of difference in SPL on them

may I re-post the final tip ?

that is

(Tip: If you don’t have an SPL meter and are placing the subwoofers at the front of the room and near the same plane as your main speakers, then you can safely set zero as the phase).

The sub is halfway on the side wall, the main speakers are at the front. So main speakers at 12 o'clock and sub at 3 o'clock. The room is 3m x 5m the speakers are on the 3m wall thanks

ok

so leave the phase as you like, that is, zero or reverse , it doesn't matter if you have only 1 sub

but
if in the future you install a second sub
then
set the phase of the second sub to the opposite of the first one
and level match the volume of both sub with the spl

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom