setting up a sub

SteveTDCI

Now that I have an XL200 I need to set the thing up, along with the rest of my system. So I need to invest in a sound level meter. Are there any better than others, is it best to go for digital or analogue ? I'm thinking of getting ..

--|ST-8850|DIGITAL SOUND LEVEL METER | CPC

or

--|ST-815|SOUND LEVEL METER | CPC

I have an account with CPC so its easy to get one from there, I know there are the radio shack ones but the digital one is out of stock, I think T2retail are the uk distributors and again I have account with them. Any opinions would be gratfully received.

Thanks
sTeve

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The 815 one is specified as having 'c' weighting, where as the other one doesnt say whether it is or not. You need a 'c' weighted one for the lower frequency tone of a sub to get a correct reading so thats the one I would go for.

The only other thing I would point out is that the analogue Radio shack meter is half the price, but thats upto you I guess.

SteveTDCI

whats easier to use the analogue one or digital ? I presume digital but if the analogue one is easy to work with then its probably worth the saving.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The analogue one is very easy to use. The dial with the needle on it is basically centred a zero and goes to -10 on the left and +10 on the right. You then have a selector switch that puts it in one of several settings ranging from about 50db to 120db. Which ever setting you select is what the meter reads when the needle is at zero, and you can see if its slightly under or over this as the needle moves.

The digital one makes the reading ever so slightly easier but its not worth the £25 cost IMO. I believe the analogue ones are slightly more accurate too.

IronGiant

The analogue is generally preferred for setting subs up, and if it costs less as well it's a no-brainer.

Dave

SteveTDCI

cool, i've just ordered the analogue from T2 :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom