Setting up a screen

Norbert666

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have the Pio 506XDE, wall mounted.

I've been using the factory settings for the past week and have been really happy.

Everyone has said that I should tweak the settings and it will be even better.

I found a post a while back and copied the settings. I tried these last night and really didn't like it - it was slightly blurry and the colours were not as, erm, colourful.

[/b]So my question is this: how do you actually go about setting up your screen?

i.e. how do you know to turn up the contrast, or reduce the colour?

Where do you start?

Your help is much appreciated.

James

Take it off factory settings now!

Out of the box it is set up to be brighter than any other display in the store, but you are likely to give it screen burn.

You need to use a set up disc to make sure you are not crushing detail in the white and blacks, even the THX optimiser that is on all the THX dvds is a good start.

Without one I would put it into user mode, set the contrast so white stops looking bright white and almost changes colour, then knock it back up again so it is at the point where it first looks white.

Then for the black level I would put a film on with black bars stand right up next to the screen and see if the black bars look rock solid, adjust the brightness up and down to see what I mean, you want to turn the black level down to the point where there is no longer any noise in them at all, you should also notice that if you go any lower than this they don't get any darker, all that happens at this point is your greys are getting darker and you are crushing detail.

Sharpness, on the Pioneer I always think that it should be set at midpoint, maybe knock it up one notch for TV viewing?

Colour is the easiest one to set, get an outdoor scene on screen and preferably something that is british, eastenders, corrie etc. etc. adjust the colour down until it looks natural, simple as that.

Or if you have a really good camcorder point it out of the window and adjust the white level, black level and colour until it looks the same! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom