1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a new system....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Benjo, May 7, 2005.

1. Benjo

Benjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I'm looking to set up a new system for myself, and afraid I don't know a lot at all - looking for any advice at all!

I'm starting from scratch, so looking to replace my stereo/DVD player and everything else. I'm looking for a system that will play my CD's to a good quality, as well as a decent system for Home Cinema etc.

I've had a look at the magazines (What Hi-fi etc) but they seem to be aimed at either Hi-fi OR home cinema, not a combo of both, so I'm a bit confused.

I've got a budget of somewhere around £1000-£1500 all-in.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! I'm planning on listening to a few systems before buying, but would prefer to know something before I walk in.

thanks!!

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Make sure your money goes in the direction of Display and Speakers. Make sure the display has HDMI or DVI and it is HDCP compliant. This way your TV is set for Sky HD and DVD players and when you upgrade the amp/DVD you can hear and see the difference with existing Display +speakers.

3. amlas3

amlas3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am pretty much in the same boat.

Few questions with reagbrds to this HDTV/HDMI

Looking to get the Panny V500 42" this I know this is HDTV compatibale.

1. Do I have to get a HDMI amp? (looking for 7.1, any recomendations)?
    2 Are DVD Recorders HDMI? (again any recomodations?)
    3 Will this plug straight into the HDMI slot on the TV? NOt sure that it really needs to
    4. How do I connect more than 1 HDMI appliances to the TV, does the Panny have more than 1 HDMI slot? I am thinking on the rights lines here...........

In my current set up I have a TV, DVD, 5.1:

TV>DVD Component YrYbYa Thingy
    DVD>AMP Co-ax

a confused novice please help

Any responses appriciated

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Some thoughts:
    - You've got no suggested budget. Do you want us to suggest something that costs £10K?
    - Regardless of what the mags claim, I've yet to hear an AV system that sounds great with music. Having seperate systems seems to be the way to go if you have the room.
    - You don't have to buy a HDMI/DVI compatible TV/projector, but frankly you'd be mad not to. HDTV from Sky will next year will only be possible via a TV with HDMI input
    - My personal view is that the best compromise for music/films (on the audio side only) is to have a good dedicated stereo setup (e.g CD>Stereo Amp>Stereo speakers) and then add on an AV amp with pre-outs from the AV amp going to the stereo amp for the front speakers, and then cheaper speakers powered by the AV amp for the centre and rears. So skimp on the AV side of the audio, NOT on the stereo side.