• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Setting up a home cinema - some advice please?!?!

paicey

Standard Member
Hi all,

This might have a really simple answer but if so I hope someone can let me know.

I have a Sony Wega KF-E4210 TV, Sony DVD DAV-DZ100 home theatre system, Pioneer DVR-540H DVD recorder and Foxtel digital box (satellite pay TV), as well as a auto AV selector.

Ideally I think I want to be able to watch TV through the DVD recorder, and also have Foxtel connected through it so I can record where necessary. I only want to connect through the DAV-DZ100 for audio, do I need the AV selector or can I connect Foxtel and the TV through the DVD recorder and use this for everything?

Hope this has been explained properly (although there is a fair chance Ihave confused the situation), and hope someone might be able to help

Cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by an auto AV selector?

You should be able to route your Foxtel via the DVD Recorder and view either the satellite TV or Digital tuner through the DVD Recorder by simply selecting D-TV or EXT1 (sorry I can't remember the exact names of the inputs as my DVD recorder is stowed away) on the DVD Recorder. However, according to the specs on the Sony site, your DAV-DZ100 system does not have any form of audio input and the SCART connection is an output only. Can you confirm this? I can't see any way of getting audio to it to be honest, so it might be time for an upgrade. If you do fancy a new system, make sure you buy one with sufficient inputs for your current and future needs by checking exactly what audio outputs your equipment has. Most all-in-one systems do not have enough inputs for most modern AV setups so I would always say go for separates or a package such as the Yamaha AV63+ or Sony HT-DDGW800 or HT-SF1300 systems.

paicey

Standard Member
Thanks Dave I appreciate the response.

The auto AV selector is an AV switcher / switch box (thinks that the right terminology?), 4 inputs to 2 outputs so I thought I could plug all the devices into this as inputs and just send all the audios through the one audio output?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Which ones is it? As I said in my previous post, if your h/c system doesn't have any form of audio input for external sources, how do you propose getting sound from these sources or have I missed something?

paicey

Standard Member
OK I am lost now, but then again just might not get it.

The AV switcher has an output into which I plan to plug the audio from the Sony home theatre system, and then plug each of the other devices into the inputs of the AV switcher.

That way, whatever choice I make on the switcher should get the audio from the home theatre system, right?

Or do I need to do more reading and make this a hobby rather than throw money at it?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sorry if I've confused you but as I said, your h/c system has no audio inputs. It can only process audio from the built in DVD/CD player. I have checked the manual and it confirms this. The only connector on the h/c system is a SCART output to send the picture to the TV.

paicey

Standard Member
OK thanks Dave, I really appreciate the help, it kind of makes sense now, I will keep it as is until I get the chance to upgrade the h/c system. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom