Setting up a hi-fi system with TV ARC

moppy

Established Member
Reaction score
My current set up is a wall mounted TV with 2 HDMI cables connected and hidden in the wall. I also have a ATLP120 and some old Mission M72s and a Marantz PM4000.

My aim is to have a good set up for listening to music (vinyl and streaming) and utilise the same speakers for TV/movie watching. I have no interest in surround sound, 2 good channels and maybe a subwoofer in the future is as much as I wish to venture.

I'd like to connect up my TV to output through the speakers rather than the built in ones on the TV. Unfortunately the current amp doesn't have HDMI capabilities (few do it seems) and in my infinite wisdom I didn't ask the installers to stick a SPDIF cable in before plastering over the wall.

As I see it, my options are:
  • Buy something like a Marantz NR1200 that will act as a good stereo amp as well as do HDMI switching, ARC, music streaming, phono stage etc.
  • Buy a HDMI audio extractor and route that audio to my current amp. This will give me a wider selection of stereo amps/receivers to consider in the future.

Not really sure what better option is. I'm drawn to the first option as it's "neater", and I know ARC can be finicky. Not sure how successful a bodge like HDMI extractors will work.

My living room is fairly small and we have a small child, so speakers are never driven hard and I can't imagine I need anything silly beefy.

But I am fairly new to all this so would appreciate some input

I'd go with the new marantz, it gives do much extra other than just tv inputs (if I could afford it)

Arcam SR250?

The Marantz NR1200 would do everything you want via HDMI. It's pretty simple to connect a TV up to a stereo amp via optical providing the amp has it's own DAC. Far less stressful than playing with ARC. No loss of audio quality just an additional remote on the armchair perhaps.

Arcam SR250?
Do have this in mind in case I see a VERY cheap example (<500) pop up on eBay, but the owners thread does put me off a little. Some ARC issues and general software iffiness reported there. But something about the sheer heft of it is tempting 🙄

The Marantz NR1200 would do everything you want via HDMI. It's pretty simple to connect a TV up to a stereo amp via optical providing the amp has it's own DAC. Far less stressful than playing with ARC. No loss of audio quality just an additional remote on the armchair perhaps.
The option of connecting via optical is no longer an option since I've plastered over the channel in the wall that hides the cables. Could do it with HDMI audio extractors as mentioned but that sounds like finickiness waiting to happen.

I'd go with the new marantz, it gives do much extra other than just tv inputs (if I could afford it)
I think that's probably what will end up happening, but I was wondering if AVF had some other ideas that I possibly hadn't considered.

There are very few options when it comes to stereo amps with HDMI and very few reviews of the products.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the following?

They all seem to offer fairly similar features and performance for a fairly similar price. The Marantz is probably the most reviewed of the lot and I'm leaning towards that more so than any of the others,mostly because I like the look of it.

Personally I like the marantz sound. It'll probably sound a lot like what you have now, probably a bit of an upgrade or similar, so you kind of know what you would get with the marantz

I have a Denon DRA 800-h. It’s driving a pair of B&W 606s, alternating with a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s. The HDMI Arc works well with the Samsung tv we have (2019 model). It’s a very versatile amp and sounds great.

Not all tvs will downconvert audio to 2 channel pcm which most stereo dacs insist on for optical.

I have a Denon DRA 800-h. It’s driving a pair of B&W 606s, alternating with a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s. The HDMI Arc works well with the Samsung tv we have (2019 model). It’s a very versatile amp and sounds great.

Thanks, that's just the kind of firsthand experience I'm hoping to hear! Anything that irks you about it?

No, not really. We play everything from Spotify. Apple Music, Blu-ray, YouTube music videos etc. I also have it connected to ‘Alexa’ upstairs and a kitchen Apple HomePod via Airplay2. It stays connected to the internet well and goes loud if you need it without distortion.
oh by the way, I also have a subwoofer attached for films. For £499, I think it’s exceptional value - it was £599 when I bought it.

I've just stumbled upon the NAD D 3045 which also has HDMI ARC functionality and is mostly within my budget.

I don't really need the HDMI switching functionality of the NR1200 and like the super compact form factor of the NAD.

Im also assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the NAD is probably going to be a better amp than the alternatives above. Anybody have any experience with this line? I know the NAD 3020 is pretty well reviewed.

Not personally although NAD’s reputation did tempt me before I got the Denon.

@Onlythesound problem is there is so many options. Unless you sit down and analyze all you listen to, unless you are an audiophile, chances are if you pick something that has the functionality you need and generally gets good feedback you're golden with that choice

Yeah, thinking about it a little further, I think o really want the Spotify Connect functionality that the other receivers have. Far as I can see, with the NAD, I only have the option of streaming via bluetooth and that's just not as convenient.

Now to see if Richer Sounds will reply to me with any ex display models they have hanging around 🤞

I guess that’s one of the things I love about the Denon - its connectivity. We use it a lot with Spotify and Airplay via our wi-fi network.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom