1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a Broadband connection

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by videonasty, Jan 5, 2005.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm going to sign up to Demon Broadband & I will have to set-up the thing myself. :suicide: Is it hard to do & has anyone got any info before I purchase?

CHEERS

2. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I signed up with Demon Broadband a little while back on what I think is called the Home 500 option or something (500K line £19.99). Its really simple to set-up the only issue you may have is the supplied modem is USB so if you want to share this with your xbox you either need to set-up internet sharing from your PC or Mac or buy a router.

Having said that I got mine sorted in the end and share the connection from my mac and xbox live works fine. I'm sure once your line is switched on if you post your problems here someone will help.

3. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm not gonna set-up the gaming part just yet, but thanks for your help.

How is it set-up?

4. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hiya, my 2p's worth:

Setting up broadband is generally as easy or easier that dial-up, so don't sweat.

The first thing I would consider is who/what is going to be using the bb connection. If it is just you on a static desktop, then it may be okay to use a cheap usb modem. These are dead easy to set up and should give you no hassle. I had a look at Bulldogs website, and they are selling a 'Binatone ADSL 500' for £35, but you can get a 2nd hand one on eBay for £5-10 (tons of people get these and then upgrade them). Do an eBay search for 'Binatone' or 'Speedtouch'.

If you have more than one pc/laptop/xbox, or you have a wireless laptop and want to move about the house, then you are better off getting an wireless modem/router. I have a Netgear DG834G modem/firewall/router/wireless which basically means our house of 2 wireless laptops, a desktop pc and an xbox can all share the connection.

Bulldog are selling this for £110, too much! You can google it and find it for less than £70. To set it up, all you do is plug it into your phone line and PC, run a quick connection wizard, and you're there.

There's more people discussing this type of stuff at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/, they have a good forum at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

Hope this helps, basically don't worry as it's easy to set up and you'll never look back... :)

5. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thank's for you info & help :thumbsup: I get a free Modem with Demon Home 500, which is the best Broadband for a Mac, so I should be OK! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

6. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the modem you get is the Speedtouch 330 if its the same as mine. Its USB so very easy to set-up on the Mac if you're only going to be using one machine. It does sometimes cause OS X to crash though.

To set-up online gaming you need to share the internet connection via your ethernet port if you're using a USB modem. In theory its quite straightforward but there is a bit of playing around to get the xbox to see the connection.