Question Setting the temperature cut in for fans.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Harkon321, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I've set up some cooling fans on top of my Denon 4200. I've placed the temperature probe directly on top of the vents.

Any suggestions at what temperature I should set the fans to click on. I originally went for just above room temperature but of course they're on all the time! Currently opted for 28 degrees C but welcome ideas.

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    28'C would be fine, most kit is specced to operate in an environment of 35-40'C.

But fans tend to be less noticeable running very slowly all the time, rather than coming in and out frequently. Frequent start-stops also shorten the lives and make the bearings become noisier, quicker.

I'd get the very quietest 12V fans I could find that start up reliably at 5V and run them off a quality 5V USB supply with a modified cable.

If you're resting them on top of a metal surface you want to make sure they're not using that surface as a speaker, silicone mounts can reduce the effect but ideally you don't want them resting on a resonant surface.

3. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I have my rack cabinet set to switch on the fans at 26.7°C; Google's recommended temperature for data centres (apparently). :p My controller switches the fans off when the temperature has dropped by 2°C. This maintains a nice stable rack temperature (unless there's a heatwave).

Dan.

4. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thanks all. Watched a film last night and they did a good job of both keeping the amp noticeably cooler and I never heard them. Seems to work well. There's scope to add another at the rear if I need to, but hopefully this seems to work.