1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting the center speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cribeiro, Nov 17, 2003.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi!

I know that Magnat is not a very well known brand in the UK, but I need some advice, and maybe someone there can help...
    The point is that I have a 5.1 setup at home, for almost a year already, and after playing around enough I know my system quite well.
    Still, there is something that I cannot understand... My center speaker is a MAgnat Vector 13, quite big btw, and rated as follows:
    Power 100/150 Watt
    freq range 36-35.000 Hz
    Impedanz: 4-8 Ohm
    Size 470 x 200 x 240 mm
    The other four are Magnat Motion 60, floorstanding with quite a deep bass (typical in Magnat), rated
    Power 120/240 Watt
    freq range 20-35.000 Hz
    Impedanz: 4-8 Ohm

Now, how should I consider my center speaker? I mean, it is not a satellite kind of speaker, but when I set it to "small" I get a more robust, deep dialog (specially with "strong man voices").
    Oh, my amp is a yamaha rx-v530, if that makes any influence.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It may be quite large in size but it would seem that your subwoofer is better at handling the lower midband and upper bass than the centre speaker. There are no hard and fast rules that everyone agrees on for setting up speakers and ultimately it comes down to what sounds best to you.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Wow! Thanks for the swift response.
    Actually, that is only part of a bigger question regarding the setup, and your answer leads me there... Ok, step by step...
    The point is that, since my main speakers are floorstanding and have a very good bass (and I tested them against my subwoofer, a Magnat Alpha 30A, with 30 cm diameter), I send the bass to both sub and speakers.
    Now, if I send it only to the speakers, I loose "body" of the bass, which makes sense. But if I send it only to the sub, also. I think I don't set the sub level and crossover properly... Read about it everywhere and tried to do it, but I can't succeed (damned theoreticians!, you'll say...).
    Could it be that my mains go lower than 50 Hz (lowest crossover on my sub), and then I cannot blend them properly? It sounds very unlikely, but I can't find any explanation.
    Now about your answser... I agree that I should always guide myself by my ears in these terms, but at the same time, I could be doing something totally wrong, and do not realize about it... You know, these usual things like overemphasize treble or bass giving an impression of a better sound, but you can only bear that for a little while because it starts being disturbing.
    In addition, depending on the source I use to modify the sub level, which I thought I wouldn't need to do. The point is that, for example with the Metallica concert S&M in 5.1 (a dvd I'll never regret to have bought) I need to lower 3-6 dB the sub level. With music cd's like R&B it sounds perfect what I have set as my personal "default". And with other cd's I don't feel it at all, although I know it is there, because I can increase it and feel it.
    What never goes wrong is movies. My default setup does the job perfectly, and I tried to vary it in several ways, but I cannot improve it.
    Ok, too many words for so little problem... Hope you can help, thanks!