Setting Sky+ when not at home

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MikeGr, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that one user requested feature of Sky+ is a way to set it to record programs when you're not at home. Perhaps that USB port on the Sky+ 160 box was meant for it. I was disappointed that it wasn't an ethernet port.

Since Sky have not managed to add this feature, has anyone produced a workaround? Obviously, this would be a system that allowed the user to access the EPG over the internet (assuming there is a downloadable source for it like the TiVo uses) and choose a program to record. The application would then need to transmit the correct infra-red codes to the Sky+ box to set it. Does this exist? It's obviously far from ideal, but it would be better than nothing at this point.

A cleverer alternative might be a way to use a video capture card to scan the EPG directly from the Sky box and display it to the end user. It could also give proper access to add/delete from the Sky+ Program Planner. Again it would be using infra-red codes to drive the Sky+ box. If the coaxial output 2 was used then the infra-red codes could be sent through the cable (as used by the TV-Link).

Again, is this all a pipedream or is there something in existance that's doing some of this?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I believe that it's something that Sky are working on at the moment - I think the idea is that you'll be able to set the box with, amongst other things, your mobile phone.

No idea when it's going to be ready though....

John

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking exactly the same about my ordinary Sky+ box. The box already has a built in modem so why cant you phone up the box and use some sort of video+ programming?

Wackojacko32

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,484
    Do bear in mind that Sky boxes can be controlled via a PC, I don't know about Sky+ boxes (that is, whether the codes are the same etc).

http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial/

Mike.