Setting Programmes to Record

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by TeresaTT, Sep 14, 2007.

1. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bear with me please, I'm a total newbie to Sky+.

I've just had SkyHD installed this morning and spent ages trying to sort out the variable lip sync problem. Setting an audio delay on the Sky box seems to work much better than setting a delay on my amp.

Anyway, I come from a TiVo and Toppy backround and have just spent ages trying to set a programme to record. Is there an easy way to find a programme to record in a few days time other than the very laborious trekking through the EPG? Do I always need to know which channel the programme is on and when it is on?

It's going to take me quite a while to get used to Sky+.

Thanks

Teresa

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Don't understand your problem? How else would you find a programme to record in a few day's time other than through the EPG? If you are already on the channel that the programme is to be transmitted on you can just use the forward arrow (plus the 24 hours fast forward button) to jump to the programme entry without going near the EPG for recording purposes. And once you've set series link it will continue recording that programme on any further transmissions until you stop it (or until the series comes to an end). There is an A to Z search facility, with searching of categories such as movies or entertainment programmes, then sub-categories such as comedy, drama, action etc. A lot of programmes that are advertised to be shown in the future have the green button feature, which automatically creates a series link entry in the Sky planner for the programme being promoted. What better techniques could there be?

Other than some form of digital video-plus feature, or the ability to type in (say) "Grand Des" I don't know how it could it be any easier.

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info Broadz. Unfortunately the A to Z search facility only seems to search the next days worth of EPG. On TiVo I can type in a programme name and TiVo will jump to that programme in an alphabetic list that list which lists each channel that programme is on. I can pick that programme and then choose to see all the upcoming episodes for it. I can series link it or choose individual episodes that I want to record. For most channels there is at least two weeks worth of EPG.

I'm just going to have to try to get used to a different way of working with Sky+. It seems to be much more geared to people watching mainly live TV with the ability to record programmes, whereas I'm used to watching mostly recorded programmes and only occasionally watching live TV.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    TIVO was light years ahead in terms of it's EPG and how it could manipulate the provided data (already sorted and tagged before being sent to the boxes) back in 2001 when SKY+ launched.
    The SKY+/SKY+HD hasn't really changed since and without exception every former TIVO user has a reality shock when moving to SKY+, it's "advantages" over TIVO can be wiped out if the user simply can not accept the more simplistic EPG something which also occurs in the US with generic DVR's provided in place of TIVO based cable/sat boxes.

I very rarely watch anything live with my SKY+ and now SKY+HD but then again I have a very good tvlistings app (Digiguide) and follow scheduling as a given in this multichannel world:)

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Starburst, you are someone who understands where I'm coming from.

I've been looking at the planner now with more dissapointment. Is there any way to see all the programmes a series link is selecting in the EPG. As far as I can see, it only shows the next programme to be recorded. If I go away for a weeks holiday is there anyway to check that all episodes in a week will be recorded?

I'll probably get used to this eventually, although it will be a painful process. I also have a subscription to the excellent Digiguide. I'll have to start using it more.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Yes I am also using a trial version of digiguide and find it far easier to use in planning my recording schedule for SKY HD.

I have only had SKY for the last 10 days and find the epg/search functions pants.It may be that I am still learning the functions but I find it way behind in functionality compared to my Humax 9200 Pvr which also has twin tuners.

With the Humax you can brows the epg whilst still having PIP with the channel you are watching.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Nope.
    The Series link is a system was designed so it wasn't dependent on TIVO patented technology/applications and as such is very limited. It works by the EPG data of one entry pointing to the next episode as the broadcaster chooses, this is normally the next ep in the broadcast schedule be it a first run show or repeat. In that regard it's impossible to see the next series link entry until the existing link is triggered by the Planner entry being recorded.
    If the broadcasters (as opposed to a third party for TIVO) have done their job then say Eastenders should have every new ep recorded after setting the first series link, same for weekly shows.
    Incorrect EPG data by the broadcaster can cause failed links as do poor maintenance of the EPG data supplied by each broadcaster, SKY have offloaded all responsibility to individual broadcasters and some are better than others.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I have a two year old 9200 and the only real issue I have with it is the time it takes to populate the EPG, SKY is up and running within seconds (It has a dedicated channel just for EPG data) where as the 9200 EPG can be partially empty hours later.
    I believe the latest revisions have cured that problem but even now I still think the SKY EPG for basic use is by design very very simple to use, lowest common denominator sort of thing.

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    As long as the 9200 is left on the epg is always there,I agree if you power down or have a lockup you do have to wait for the epg to populate.

However I still find it far easier & quicker to browse the 9200's epg and make recording reservations for the evening/next few days whilst still being able to view the programme I am watching.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yes but I don't leave it on 24/7 and the standby function should (like SKY+) be able to keep the EPG populated, perhaps the use of a dedicated EPG channel on satellite allows that and it's impossible with the Freeview EPG which uses data on from all the muxes (I think that's how it works).

No interest in PIP when using the EPG, I'd rather have the full screen of listings and not half the screen although the GUI is far superior on the 9200, SKY graphics are very dated.

11. richie05

richie05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You could always have ago at the sky remote record option from the sky website, you can scroll quite easily ahead of time and it will send the request to your box.

Richie

12. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    After 2 years of using Sky+, it still pains me to use the EPG.

It is truly HORRENDOUS and crap compared to TiVo or Windows MCE.
    Every time I use the EPG it feels like I am back in 1995!

I generally use TiVo to find my programmes. Other people use digiguide.

There is also a hack available for a TiVo to set recordings on a SkyHD box.
    However you do need a workaround to enter in your PIN number for movies.

I don't think the remote record facility works beyond a week in advance either, so not much good if you want to go on holiday for more than 2 weeks and not be bothered to dial in.
    I once went away for 7 months and my TiVo dutifully recorded everything I wanted without 7 months of intervention!

In its defense, Sky+ does have a few nifty PVR shortcuts.
    Sadly they don't make up for the 100 missing features that we know and love that TiVo and MCE have.

Luckily the HD PQ and sound just about make up for its PVR shortcomings.

If we had the best of both worlds I would gladly pay £3000 for a SkyHD Series 3 TiVo or Windows MCE with SkyHD compatible DVB-S2 functionality!