1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting it all up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by villaceltic, Jun 7, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new eggs yesterday so eventually got to start playing with my new amp. By about 1:30 this morning I had eventually worked out that you needed to reassign the digital input for the coaxial from CD (default and marked as such on the back) to DVD. So success!!

Question is I'm now trying to get surround sound from the sky box. I've plugged in my audio 2 phono - 2 phono's into the audio R/L on the back of the ampbut so far I can only get the fronts to produce anything (display is only showing L&R speakers as well). Can't I produce 6 speaker surround this way?

Sorry to go on so much but when you've just auditioned the whole set up in the shop and it sound fantastic you really want to recreate it when you get it home. I'm still trying to convince the wife how good it sounded and justify the spends!

Also any advice on general set up of the system (speaker levels, sub level, etc) would be v much appreciated - I'm finding the manual less than helpful.

Got pretty much a rectangular room with the TV in one corner and my seating position diagonally opposite 4 meters between the two.

Many Thanks

Macca (still quite excited by it all!)

2. jimmyb

jimmyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Macca,
    I know you're posting a mail in order to receive some help, but you may be able to offer me some assistance.

I've recently (a few days ago) bought the Yammy 640 that you've also got. I'm having massive trouble getting it to decode a DTS signal, to the point where its about to be sent back.

I have a 5 speaker setup, that I assume is correctly set up as I get the test tone from all of them. I have a Playstation2 as my DVD player, connected to the amp via optical cable. Digital out is enabled on the PS2.

When playing a DVD, the screen on the front of the amp says NEO:6, and I get a graphic of 2 (not 5) speakers displayed. At this stage I get sound through all 5 speakers, even though only 2 are displayed on the LCD. If I force the amp into DTS mode, I get no sound at all.

Did you have to do anything special to get DTS to work?

When you play a DVD with DTS, does DTS show on the LCD? Also, do all 5 speaker icons show up?

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated- its such a new amp that I'm struggling to find anyone who may have been through the same process...

Cheers in advance,
    James

3. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmyb,

When you say you've got the DVD connected via optical, do you mean a coaxil into the port marked CD?

You can set the DVD to AUTO and then it should automatically decipher what type of signal is being received. I know that I had a problem after connecting my DVD to the optical input and no tthearing anything when I pressed the DVD button on the remote - I had to re-assign the input to DVD

Give me more info if this is not it and I'll see if I can help

Macca

4. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no sorry, I see the optical input port on the front now that you're talking about.

Still, just tried it out with LOTR and only get DTS ES (or Discreet 6.1) when I change the disk set up to 6.1 surround. DTS symbol lights up on the display. Couldn't force DTS when playing Pearl Harbour though - it just gives Dolby ES or Matrix 6.1 options.

Could it be then that the DVD is actually what determines DTS or not rather than the amp?

Macca

5. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot get the amp to process a Dolby signal using the DTS software in the amp. :nono:

To play using DTS encoding there must be a DTS sound track on the DVD. Exceptions are using a stereo input e.g. Sky or video, then you can decide whether to listen using DTS Neo 6 or Dolby ProLogic 2.

Have a look at Dolby and DTS for more info.

Rgds

6. jimmyb

jimmyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I have the optical lead going from the digital out socket on the rear of the Playstation 2, to the DVD digital input on the rear of the Amp.

The DVD I am testing with is Minority Report (though I have tried lots of different ones) which is definately DTS compatible.

It doesn't matter what DVD I play, with the DVD set to AUTO, it reverts straight back to NEO:6. I've not managed to see Dolby ES, matrix or any of these other options that the Amp is supposed to offer. NEO:6 (or PL/PLII) is all I get.

Just to check- you actually get DTS, Dolby ES or Matrix appear on the LCD when its doing its stuff?

Also, do all the speaker icons light up when in use with a digital input?

7. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hello,

Something that may just help i hope...

You have to turn on DTS from the PS2 its in the setup options when you hit select if i remember correctly (the last option on the right and you can check if DTS is turned on..). But remember any changes need to be made while the DVD is stopped.

Let me know if it does the trick.

Mog

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Players can only output one format at a time and as far as I am aware Dolby Digital is the default for all DVD Players any you have to set up for DTS in the Menu every time you put a disc in, Bummer I know.

jimmyb does the playstation have a setting for data type on the digital out? If it does and it is set to PCM you will only get 2 channel out from the player, it needs to be set to bitstream or something similar.

9. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    On the PS2 you have to enable DTS and DD on the setup menu otherwise it wont send it out via the optical link. Once done its always on but i am sure its set to off by default.

Mog

10. jimmyb

jimmyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I can sleep again, my hair's stopped going grey and you've stopped me looking like a tart for sending a perfectly good amp back to Yamaha!! My amp is now working!!

As a few of you suggested, the problem was that DTS and Dolby Digital were turned off in the hidden (okay, maybe not hidden, but hardly bloody obvious) setup menu. Switched them on and instantly I'm in business.

I wonder how many other people are using Playstation 2's as their main DVD player with all these options turned off? :)

Cheers for the help!

James

11. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to have this exact problem too when I ran my DVDs thru my PS2 (with a Yammy DSP-A5 amp) - I don't think I ever actually watched a DVD using DTS - I too thought my amp was faulty.

I've just set up my system in my new house with a new Denon AVR2802 amp and Toshiba SD330 DVD player but can't get DTS to work. There just doesn't seem to be an option in the Toshiba menus to turn DTS on - only the option to make the audio out 'bitstream' which is selected.

Anyone know how to turn DTS on with the SD330? :confused:

12. jimmyb

jimmyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a stupid question, but most DTS DVD's also contain D-Digital soundtracks, which the Amp will default to.

I assume you're setting the DVD to DTS in the DVD's option menu?

13. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes - The option to turn DTS on is not in the player it is on the Disc it will be an on screen menu, usually called audio options or something similar, you have to set it every time you load a disc (assuming the disc has DTS) the default is Dolby. :lesson:

14. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So simple - it has to be true.

Cheers

15. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep - it works.

Nipped home at lunchtime and went to the DVD menu on The Mummy Returns - couldn't see an obvious sound menu but eventually got to it via the languages menu, I think!?

Anyway - it worked! :smashin:

16. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    languages/sound it is usually something like that I think Dolby must have the rights to the data that go into all players and therefore they get the default, don’t know how it works. But Glad you are sorted now.

17. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe Dobly is a industry standard, and all sound media has to be compatable... there a DTS encoded disk must also come with a Dolby sound track, as not everything can decode DTS