1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Hi and Low Level inputs on REL?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ChrisOH, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable contributors to this forum will be able to point me in the right direction please. A while back I bought a REL sub that has both a high level input, connected to a pair of mono-blocks which provide power to the front main speakers. It is also connected to a DSP via its low (line) level input.

I can see how to configure the sub to fit with the main speakers ie roll off and volume, lots of messing about until you are happy but, I am not sure how to configure it for the line level which is carrying the DD and DTS LFE.

Are there any guides someone could point me towards?

TIA

Chris

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ok, plug it to the LFE channel on the processor and make sure the processor has its subwoofer option for LFE turned on......then like the high level connection, muck around with the gain, or slam/depth or whatever controls it has.....if its REL then it should have its own gain for low level thats independant from the high level gain....

now, i dunno about just processors, but in surround amps you can also redirect the bass from other speakers to the sub, usually done if you have satellites or small bookshelf speakers..........now, as you are already sending the front channel bass to the sub via hi level, i would suggest if your processor has the option to set your front speakers to large so they dont lose any signal, but set the centre speaker and surround speakers to small, then set the crossover to 80hz (might be other options, experiment).....
    from what i remember, on most RELs, the LFE input doesnt have its own crossover level, because thats coming from the amp, only the high level has a crossover on the sub........

hope this helps...heh

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My REL QUAKE has crossover control on both inputs. I would suggest that you disconnect the high level speaker connections from the sub whilst setting up the processor via line level input.

You dont state your subs model. Personally I like to control the crossover from my sub as I find most processors still put out to much mid bass when bypassing the subs crossover. Have a look at the REL website for setup advice and if you want more specific advice regards your own model then try calling REL.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i dont remember my quake having 2 crossovers? 2 gain controls yes.....

mebbe im going mad....lol

im sure it had a slam/depth knob, a freq crossover knob, phase knob, low level gain knob, high level gain knob...........the freq crossover knob only applies for hi level as the low level is crossovered in the surround amp already.....

mebbe i was wrong.....time to check RELs site as im at work....

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    on the website its showing just 5 knobs for the quake, as i listed......

pwood, you sure you are not talking about the gain? you do mention that sometimes the amp lets out too much bass, but the crossover isnt about the bass volume, its about bass frequency cutoff........

6. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the suggestions. As far as I can tell there are two things that need adjusting for the high level connection

1. the cross-over frequency
    2. the volume

to get the sub integrated into the main stereo system. This is a by ear process although I appreciate it could be done scientifically using test tones and a SPL meter. I have a cheap meter and plan to have a go at this, as so far it has been adjusted by ear. This is independent of the processor which is exclusively for DD and DTS

When it comes to DD and DTS, the sub then needs setting up to reproduce the .1 of the 5.1 channels. It has a volume control for the Line level input, however, the processor (a modified DSP E800 Yamaha) also has a volume control for the sub as well as separate controls for the DD and DTS LFE.

Given the .1 channel is specifically for the sub I do not see why there should be any crossover issues as it is carrying frequencies specifically for the sub channel and indeed I can’t control this anyway. This means that I have effectively three volume controls to set once I have the sub integrated with the main speakers, the one on the sub, the one on the processor and then the one for LFE.

The processor is set to recognise the front and centre speakers as large and the rears as small as either suggested in the manual or appropriate for the speakers themselves (the rears are small Mission surrounds at the moment). Bass output is to both the sub and (large) speakers as suggested by the REL manual.

So, as I have this in my mind I have two volume controls (both trying to do the same job ie volume control, exclusively for the sub) and the LFE controls for both DD and DTS. What I am a little confused about is how to set the volume for the sub itself and the LFE settings. Are there any guides or test tones I need? I use an HTPC so can download tones and play them in TT 2.2 if they exist exclusively for the .1 channel.

The sub is a Studio III

TIA

Chris

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I confused the gain controls with crossover sorry folks.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    a studio III....oh how i hate you.....LOL

ok, you might wanna read and post in some of the threads where they talk about BFD's and SPL etc......they go right into it, which given the quality of sub you have may be worth doing, be warned tho, they may get confusing...lol

basically once setup you should really only need to worry about lowering or raising your processors master volume as you do say when switching between a DVD and a TV show.........the subs channel level on the amp and the subs own gain controls should stay where they are generally....altho i guess if you feel something is a little too heavy then use the processors channel level for the sub to quieten it a notch or so...........its quite likely the subs low level gain and hi level gain will be set to different levels to achieve the same result because you are using different equipment to power different speakers........basically the best thing to do is muck about till it sounds good to your ears, altho granted you might get it sounding better with a BFD and test tones, but that requires a lot of testing and stuff to sort out, its very clinical...lol

the main thing to worry about is the hi level hifi side of it, make sure the sub is simply extending the bass freq range, not trying to overwhelm the main speakers........for movies with the LFE side dont worry, the more things shake the more fun it is....heh