Setting for my Sony HD Ready TV please

carrieanne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise me please?

I've had a 37" Sony Bravia HD Ready TV for about a year. At first, I had it set at 720p because that's what I thought it should be on as it's not full HD, but then I tried it on 1080p and the picture is still fine, maybe even better and all picture sizes are correct.

But from what I understand, only full HD TV's should be on 1080p, shouldn't they? So am I damaging the TV by having it on 1080p?

I should add that I use a Virgin Media V+ Box with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks.

Carrie :)

Last edited:
I'm bumping this as I never had a reply following my last post and I still would like to know. :)

Also, now that there is ITV HD, I tried to set it up on the TV but when I use the settings on my Sony TV to change it to HD it tells me something like 'there are no HD settings found' (or something along those lines).

I am of course using a HDMI cable and everything's working ok, so could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Replies to these 2 queries would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance. :)

Are you sure it wasn't 1080i you were selecting? You are corrrect that this TV shouldn't be able to do 1080p, but it can do 1080i.

Aah yes, it must be 1080i that it's set to. Is this setting ok for the TV?

Also, are you able to help me with the HD settings please? When I switch to ITV HD I can't notice any difference to ordinary ITV.

Aah yes, it must be 1080i that it's set to. Is this setting ok for the TV?

Also, are you able to help me with the HD settings please? When I switch to ITV HD I can't notice any difference to ordinary ITV.

Yes, 1080i is fine.

With regards to ITV, this could just be the broadcast ITV are renound for using the lowest bandwidth they can). A lot of ITV programmes are upscaled SD programmes. Try it with either Channel 4/Channel 4 HD or Discovery/Discovery HD. I think on Virgin, when you press the i button to see the programmes information there is a HD tag to say it IS an actual HD programme.

Setting it to 1080i will not damage the tv. Your TV will simply scale the image to 720p in order to fit your screen's resolution correctly.

Generally speaking, if your TV doesnt like a particular video signal (i.e it is not capable of decoding it) then in most cases it will just display a blank screen. The risk of damage is relatively low.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom