setting contrast with dve

King_Louie

Novice Member
Last night I tried calibrating my Epson TW3000 with the DVE bluray and hit a small problem. When setting contrast I am presented with a a pattern that has bars ranging from whiter than white to blacker than black. I am supposed to set the contrast at the point just before the lighter start blending together. My problem is that I cant seperate the whiter than white and video white from each other. My ps3 is set with superwhite on as is my projector. Why cant I stop the 2 brightest bars from blending?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Last night I tried calibrating my Epson TW3000 with the DVE bluray and hit a small problem. When setting contrast I am presented with a a pattern that has bars ranging from whiter than white to blacker than black. I am supposed to set the contrast at the point just before the lighter start blending together. My problem is that I cant seperate the whiter than white and video white from each other. My ps3 is set with superwhite on as is my projector. Why cant I stop the 2 brightest bars from blending?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
To clarify reference white data and above white data merge into one i.e. clipped ?

Is your PS3 "BD/DVD Video" set to output YCbCr 4:4:4 or auto rather than RGB ? Also is "RGB full range" set to limited (if you're using YCbCr 4:4:4 rather than auto) ?

AVI

King_Louie

Novice Member
Thanks alot for the reply avi. Yes ps3 is set to output YCbCr 4:4:4 and rgb to limited. It is definitely outputting YCbCr 4:4:4 to the epson as I have checked this. I just cant get any seperation between whiter than white and 100% white. They just blend together. Though the rest of the bars are fine. I should also note that the epson hdmi black setting is on normal and not expanded. I wouldnt have thought this would matter though.

King_Louie

Novice Member
Hi Gordon. Thanks for the reply. I decided to set epson to expanded last night. Didnt work. I then kept 'superwhite' on the ps3 set to on but turned off 'epson superwhite' and the there was immediate seperation between the 5% above white and 100% white and I was also able to clearly see the below black bars. The epson superwhite is obviously something different to what I thought it was. I thought it was jsut allowing the superwhite signal from the ps3 to be accepted and displayed. This isnt the case. If I turn off the ps3 superwhite also the picture changes in a big way. So I am getting superwhite.

Anyway, in conclusion, I have found that to display BTB and WTW signals I need hdmi black on the epson to be set to expanded and epson superwhite set to off with the ps3 superwhite set to on. This also helps greatly on the results I was getting previously with the colour decoding using the blue filter.

However, I thought it best to do a seperate calibration for when the ps3 outputs an RGB signal, ie for games, downloaded programs etc. I now find that I have the same problem seeing BTB and WTW no matter what configuration I set the epson and ps3 to. Not a big problem and not one I will dwell on. I calibrated the RGB signal with DVE to the best of my ability and I am happy enough.

Thanks again for your help.

Avi

Distinguished Member
However, I thought it best to do a seperate calibration for when the ps3 outputs an RGB signal, ie for games, downloaded programs etc. I now find that I have the same problem seeing BTB and WTW no matter what configuration I set the epson and ps3 to. Not a big problem and not one I will dwell on. I calibrated the RGB signal with DVE to the best of my ability and I am happy enough.
The PS3 Superwhite setting only applies to YCbCr colourspace. If you select RGB colourspace below black/above white data is clipped using limited range (video level) RGB setting with a video source. RGB full range (PC level) source doesn't support below black/above white data.

AVI

Last edited:

King_Louie

Novice Member
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for that info AVI. That makes things clearer for me. Much appreciated.

I plan to do a better calibration when I eventualy get a new Eye-One. The one I have at the moment is faulty and is way off reading the reds on every display I have tried it on. Worked when I first got it though. So thats why Im stuck calibrating by eye with dve at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom