Setting brightness and contrast for Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Brogan, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Although this is strictly related to calibration, I thought I'd post it here as it is specifically to do with Sky HD and will get a lot more views than in the calibration forum.

I have calibrated my projector and plasma for video black and WTW using DVE from my DVD player.
    As there are no equivalent testcards transmitted on any of the Sky channels, I am using HD recordings of Sin City and Kill Bill 2 from Sky HD and comparing them with their Pal DVD equivalents.

Although it's difficult to get an exact match, I have found that brightness and contrast need to be increased at least a couple of steps for Sky HD to match the DVD.
    For example, my plasma settings with DVE from DVD is:
    Brightness: +3
    Contrast: 43
    With Sky HD I have found it looks better as:
    Brightness: +5
    Contrast: 45
    I could probably go even higher as the image still looks a bit dark compared to DVD but it seems to look OK.
    The same goes for the projector - brightness and contrast are 2-3 steps higher.

Has anyone else done any comparitive tests between Sky HD movies and Pal DVDs?
    If so, what conclusion did you come to with regards to brightness and contrast?

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Where to you have the contrast setting on your SkyHD box? Low?

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    It's currently set to Low but even with the medium setting I find I still have to increase the levels a little.