1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting An AV32 Up

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by @Home, May 2, 2004.

1. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I am finally going to be setting up my AV32’s Sound Levels using my newly acquired SPL meter and I was wondering if there was any hard ‘n fast rules on how to use an SPL Meter?

So can anyone tell me how do I use one? What settings do I put it at that kind of thing?

Something else that has been tugging at my curiosity for some time now is what are the TagMclaren 125 Monoblock’s like?

Are they fast and funky, slow and stale? Does any one have a pair or has heard a pair?

At the moment I have a Belcanto Evo200.2, would the Tag’s be a step-up?

Cheers

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    FAST AND FUNKY!:cool:

I have a set of 250MR's. I used to bi-amp my Nautilus 803 with 4 modules from the 100x5R. Although the 100x5R is a very nice amp, I now only use one 250MR to drive the speakers, and I must say they do their job simply better! Whilst I had the feeling the 2 modules from the 5 channel amp started to hold down at higher volumes, the 250MR keeps going :D
    It looks very small, but it's potential is BIG.

Besides the power/dynamic difference, I also find them a bit better sounding in the mid/high freq. (edit: I don't know the Belcanto, so can't comment on that)

You should position the SPL meter on a tripod in your seating place, pointed towards the ceiling. Then you calibrate all speakers to the same level using the AV's test tone. (Settings slow, weight C)

Best,

Theo

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, you need to keep out of the way of the meter when testing as your humanoid body can cause false readings. A tripod or similar bodge up is recommended. It's not brain science, nor is it rocket surgery and you may be suprised at how much you have to adjust certain speakers that your human ears on the sides of your head said were the same volume. The result will be a much more enveloping soundfield.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No... :nono:

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R U kidding?

6. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Ok guys I get the message about the Tag Monoblocks :suicide: .

Shame though, I've always fancied a pair.

Well I had a go with the sound meter and I think I've done it right, the sound is much quieter than when I set it up just by listening. The meter was almost off the scale when Ii set the test tone going :zonked: , but now thier down to 75 on the scale.

Are there any tweaks I should now do with the Tag AV32 settings?

Thanks Again

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're considering the Tag monoblocs,you should also take a look at Krell,Bryston,and Chord.
    The Tags are generally quite good amps,very well made and pretty bullet-proof in most respects,but IMHO,you can better the sound quality quite easily,and the load tolerance leaves something to be desired.
    Just my opinion,but my rather old Krells have far greater reserve into much more difficult loads.

8. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IMHO it would take quite a lot of money to better the Bel Canto, dont you like the sound, or is it just a fancy... ;)

9. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yes I think the Belcanto is fantastic.

The reason I asked about the Tag is that I had always fancied the
    Monoblocks and have never had chance to hear them, so i guess it's plain old curiousity.

We all get itchy fingers and want to change or try something different from time to time:nono:.

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought so... :devil:

11. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should try the bryston SST amps - couple them with the TMCfront end & PMC speakers (OB1 and above) and the set-up sounds awesome.

12. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I replaced a Bryston 4B ST with the Bel Canto, it is better in all regards, mids, highs, detail, even bass, at least bridged...:smashin:

I also tested a 4B SST, but, either it was badly setup, how could it be, or it didnt work properly, I didnt like it... :rolleyes:

13. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 4BST or SST is a bit too underpowered to create a great sound - i have no idea what the bel canto sounds like but i'm sure it's good,

i'm using the 6BSST for front & centre at the moment with PMC OB1 / TB2C - sounds v.good although my cables are amazing - you can only get them from 1 dealer here & while they are not cheap for the AFA Golden Fleece cables - the difference was awesome - i had red dawn before and they sounded like $2 patch cables in a direct comparison; will probably upgrade to 3 x 7B SST though when i'm allowed (2nd kid on the way so i'm treading carefully at the moment!!) to ensure maximum potential of my system.

14. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think the 4B ST had lack of power, its 250 watts per channel...

It did match my TAG processor very well, but was a bit too bright with the Krell, anyway the Bel Canto is 360 watts per channel, controls the bass better, no harsness at all, and lots of detail, I almost can hear "space" around the players and instruments...

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The SST amps are a step up from the older ST range.....The 6BSST is a great amp even TAG had one on loan for that AMP shootout, blind test said we couldn't tell them apart but at first the difference was there......Bolt these things to a pair of OB1's and jeezzz wonderful stuff.......

16. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree - the 6BSST with OB1's is great, however, try them with a pair of 7B SST monoblocks, 600W into 8 ohms; it sounds awesome.

it's my last (or is that next ?) upgrade before baby no.2 arrives.......

:hiya:

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Have you tried the new OB1 centre (can't remember what it is called but it is designed for the centre duty with OB1's)? The demo I heard was pretty impressive. I remember when Pete first sat me in front of a pair of OB1's and watched my face, I turned to him after a few minutes listening and said "your gonna sell shed loads of those", Pete just smiled......They are good!
    The more power you feed them the better they get as no doubt you have found, don't get too carried away though :D

18. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

Yes - i've demo'd it with my dealer here - it's called the CB6 & is basically one OB1 unit on it's side - it's pretty damn good but my TB2C suffices for movies at present to be honest +the cost is more than 1/2 an OB1 set.....

As for getting carried away - none of us do that do we ?? :eek:) + the improvement in performance of the OB1's from 6BSST to 14BSST or 7BSST is very significant - you should hear it....... :hiya:

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Do you use 4 off DB1's for side/backs or are you in 5.1 mode, I'm curious where you position them?

20. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm in 5.1 mode so only 2 DB1's for the rear speakers; set-up about 1m back from my sofa - sounds v.good i have to say with custom cabling from my dealer,

7.1 mode is questionable in my opinion - but i would like to try the rear centre 'height' channel sometime in the future,

now just to get my head around TMREQ - bit lost on that one & our TMC dealer here is clueless on it unfortunately,

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You could always ask Barry to come out and set it up :laugh: I sudder to think how much it woud cost in travelling time though!

22. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha - i think i'd leave that unless he wants to visit Singapore; plenty to see / do mind you, Singapore is growing up at last - in which case he's most welcome to pop round and help me out, i'd provide the beer (Tiger of course !!)

other than that - any advice on setting it up - i have my laptop + software & SPL meter but it seems to suggest there is no sonic problem with my front 2 speakers ???

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Pay for the return ticket and I'll pack my bag tomorrow :rotfl: The OB1's have excellent bass caracteristics it really depends on how they interact with your room and that is where TMREQ comes in. I'd be surprised if TMREQ didn't make a difference when setup properly though. I'd start with the SUB's and then the front pair.