Setting 4k blu ray player to play discs with HDR off.

Snoots101

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I have found from playing around with my set up that I prefer the look of 4k disks with hdr set to off.
As after playing with setting up hdr I'm not I huge fan of it, I think Its a result of my liking for the traditional look of movies and my TV's poor 350 nits output.

Is this considered a big no no to be doing in terms of the picture that's being sent to the TV?
It converts to BT709 if I remember correctly.
To me the picture looks great.

Thanks.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

I have found from playing around with my set up that I prefer the look of 4k disks with hdr set to off.
As after playing with setting up hdr I'm not I huge fan of it, I think Its a result of my liking for the traditional look of movies and my TV's poor 350 nits output.

Is this considered a big no no to be doing in terms of the picture that's being sent to the TV?
It converts to BT709 if I remember correctly.
To me the picture looks great.

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day it's how you want the picture to look.
What is the make/model of your player?, some do a better job of doing this than others by allowing output of SDR BT2020 vs SDR BT709.

Snoots101

Novice Member
Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day it's how you want the picture to look.
What is the make/model of your player?, some do a better job of doing this than others by allowing output of SDR BT2020 vs SDR BT709.
Sorry for the late reply, busy weekend with the football on.
Panasonic DMP-UB900 is the player.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom