1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SetPal or DTT problem?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Roger, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I’m on my third SetPal box having tried two Daewoo and I now have a Labgear.

All have a problem with some shades of medium blue, red and pink. When there is a large amount of any of these colours on screen, stationary ‘banding’ lines appear.

This effect can also be seen on the third status screen (press status plus info plus guide) which shows the received signal strength and signal to noise ratio which in my case is 99 signal strength on all channels and SNR ranging from 24 to 26 (is this good?)

It appears on both the scart and the UHF output (I have tried a ‘super’ scart lead but no difference).

Other than this the picture and sound quality is excellent so I am undecided about returning the box and replacing it with a different make which may not have such good performance as the SetPal.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I ‘m not sure if this is a Setpal problem or happens with other boxes and is therefore a general ‘fault’ with DTT reception.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

Could some kind person please copy and paste my query to the Digital Spy forum (DDT - Technical)

They will not let me join as they don't like my yahoo email address for some reason.

Thanks very much.

Roger

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
  4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that you haven't tried it with a different TV set. Have you considered that it might be your TV set at fault? Why not try another.

5. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Many thanks NX3 for your help (and those people who replied).

Having been in touch with a very helpful Steve at NovaPal/SetPal it looks like it's a problem with my two old TV's.

Although the main TV is connected via a scart lead (via my 'new' VCR) it appears it does not support RGB input.

This is NOT specifically a SetPal problem and could affect any Freeview box connected to an old TV.

More recent TV’s should be ok but it might be worth checking before you buy.

As I have said before, other than this problem (and the green screen which should be fixed by this weekends upgdate) the picture and sound are excellent, with no breakup so far.

So I suggest you include the Daewoo or Labgear SetPall boxes in your shortlist if performance is more important than 'features' such as games, email, timer etc.

Roger

6. jameshg

jameshg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had a Labgear Setpal for over two years and it has been fine until now - i cannot i'm afraid help with your query but you may be able to help me
    i came in last night to find both the green and red lights out and the last few recordings onto my Sony HDD blank - i have checked everything, fuse, connections and pressing the red reset button on the back all to no avail - there is a signal going through as my aerials are linked through the box and when i remove the power plug i lose the picture on my TV which reappears when i replace the power pug

i see that you have had several boxes so perhaps i need to replace this - questions please, any idea what my problem may be and secondly where did you get your replacement boxes - i am in the Leicestershire area

thanks

James