• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Setanta's PQ on tonites footy...

kbj242

...Blackburn v Man Utd was excellent I thought. The best so far this season. I wasn't HD quality, obviously (before someone points that out - again) but it was very good. Easily comparable to SkySD or BBC SD.
I watched the game via Sky HD box - HDMI - Pan 42".

kbj242

Hurrah - and I thought I was the only person on these forums to ever give Setanta any credit......Thanks for some constructive comment:thumbsup:

i've bitten the bullet and emailed Setanta to inform them that the PQ was excellent...and that they need to keep it up !

bluesteel

I find that if I flick round on the various satellite channels showing premiership football setanta is far from the worst!
I prefer watching on premiere for 3pm games or the mighty canal nordic for HD, as they seem a bit more natural looking. Setanta looks over saturated (or did as I dont subscribe any more)
Glad it seemed better though .
If you want to see horrific quality digitalb is truly truly bad!

lovelldr

i watched what i suppose was the same feed on premiere and thought it was very very good!
Might be the same feed of course, but could be a completely different PQ, as setanta could've just lowered the bitrate or compressed it more... So the picture quality could've been far worse than the premiere showing.

Didn't watch it myself, but would be better for a like-for-like comparison (i.e if others who watched on setanta to post)

bluesteel

Might be the same feed of course, but could be a completely different PQ, as setanta could've just lowered the bitrate or compressed it more... So the picture quality could've been far worse than the premiere showing.

Didn't watch it myself, but would be better for a like-for-like comparison (i.e if others who watched on setanta to post)
yes very true in fact
good point, I recall comparing setanta to premiere and premiere was a lot lot better
Once I installed motorised I cancelled sky and setanta as ALL the sports and films can be found elsewhere.
I nearly bought a digitalb card, good god im so so glad i didnt

kenedin

...Blackburn v Man Utd was excellent I thought. The best so far this season. I wasn't HD quality, obviously (before someone points that out - again) but it was very good. Easily comparable to SkySD or BBC SD.
I watched the game via Sky HD box - HDMI - Pan 42".

I'll second the remarks. I was watching the game with a friend and commented at the time how much better the pq was compared to the normal dire offering. So I thought I'd check out the bitrate for yesterday at Linowsat ( an excellent resource, by the way ). Here is the 10-day chart for Setanta Sports 1:

http://www.linowsat.co.uk/0285/bitrate/2601/54001.html

Surprise, surprise, yesterday's bitrate was up to 5.2Mbps. Yes, they can produce the goods :D:D when they feel like it. Does it cost more to uplink at this higher rate? Maybe some knowlegeable folks here have the answer.

kbj242

I didn't see yesterdays game (Man Utd v West Brom)...did anyone else ?
Was it as good as last weeks by chance ? (and please - no "its not as good as SkyHD footy" comments ....:smashin:)

Ive checked the Linowsat website again and it appears that the bitrates were upped significantly yet again for yesterdays broadcast.

Are Setanta finally getting their act together (on the satellite platform) ?

I'll be watching tomrrows match (Newc v Man City) so it'll interesting to see how much welly they give it on a monday night.

Kenny Glasgow

Hurrah - and I thought I was the only person on these forums to ever give Setanta any credit......Thanks for some constructive comment:thumbsup:

i've bitten the bullet and emailed Setanta to inform them that the PQ was excellent...and that they need to keep it up !

try watching the SPL for Setanta P/Q :mad::suicide:

noikz

Once I installed motorised I cancelled sky and setanta as ALL the sports and films can be found elsewhere.

Nope, I still sub to Sky as nobody (bar Showtime) offers comprehensive rugby coverage. There are no Euro chans who show the Guinness Prem in English and nobody who shows as many Heineken games. :thumbsup:

lovelldr

I thought that the canalsat french channels had a rugby option... So might be available on there...

Kearney

I wish they would sort out their aspect ratios though on a 4:3 set you cannot watch pan and scan cropped widescreen no matter what the digibox is set to. The Setanta pub channel is not affected by this.

Kearney

Watching Newcastle vs City last night I didn't think the picture was that good, certainly no where near sky sports 1 or 2.

Jaycee Dove

The PQ was pretty poor, but I gather that is the excuse given by the referee for the penalty and Richard Dunne for hitting the ball towards the wrong end.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom