• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Setanta Sports

mark88

Established Member
Was just about to subscribe to Setanta Sports until I read some posts here saying how hard it is to cancel.

Also notice in the small print there's a £14.99 connection fee + the £12.99/month and 2 months notice is required when you cancel..

Sounds like a big rip off to me but sadly it's the only place to watch UFC :-/

Anyone know of any offers/discounts codes?

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Although I'm definitely not a fan of Setanta, and don't subscribe to them, one thing I can happily now correct you on is that they have changed their Cancellation Policy now from a two month notice period to one.

Sorry I can't offer any further assistance.

Cheers,

Martin.

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
Was just about to subscribe to Setanta Sports until I read some posts here saying how hard it is to cancel.

Also notice in the small print there's a £14.99 connection fee + the £12.99/month and 2 months notice is required when you cancel..

Sounds like a big rip off to me but sadly it's the only place to watch UFC :-/

Anyone know of any offers/discounts codes?

If you sign up online and go via Quidco I think you get £12 or £15 cashback i.e. negates the set up fee.

They had a £6.50 a month deal a while back, not sure if its still going. But once you get on a good deal, they appear to keep extending it if you threaten to cancel. I got this at the start of the football season and have it until January at the moment.

Will cancel unless its extended. Not worth the full cost for the amount I watch, but would keep it at reduced price.

paddymcn

Established Member
I joined on a special offer about 9 months ago, free connection and half price for first 3 months. I continued with it until the price went to £12.99 a month. Tried to cancel by phone and online but they wouldn't let me, had to be done in writing and give them 2 months notice. It was just switched off last week. They did ring to ask why I cancelled, I was honest and told them I only watched one of their channels (prem football), the picture quality was not that great and that it simply wasn't worth £12.99 a month for me. They never offered me any incentives to stay with them!

I don't think the company is as bad as it is sometimes painted and will probably sign up again if it ever goes HD...

usenetz

Established Member
I don't think the company is as bad as it is sometimes painted ...
I have read many reports about how bad Setanta are and it is true to say many people express real anger and frustration with the way they have been treated by Setanta. They tell stories which sometimes beggar believe.

I have, however, never read any story which is out of tune with my own personal experience of this truly, (IMHO), abysmal company. :thumbsdow

Of course some people have better experiences than other - probably those who never try to cancel or have any other issues which require them to contact Setanta 'customer services' have the best experience, other than the poor picture quality.

I would never recommend Setanta to anyone I like. :devil:

john

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
I have read a number of scare stories about cancelling Setanta (and heard about them on a Radio phone in as well).

From reading about this I decided to ensure I signed up with a Direct Debit rather than a credit card - you can canel a Direct Debit, but you cannot stop a company charging your credit card without canceling the card.

The advice I read was to call them and tell them you are cancelling (at which point you are likely to get another offer - but from the post above, not always); put it in writing via recorded delivery; then cancel your direct debit.

This should cover you apparently.

If it wasn't for the England games I would not have even considered Setanta. Premier League and FA Cup are OK, but the PQ compared to HD sports is awful and I rarely watch.

But £6.50 a month for the initial 3 months, plus 2 more I was offerred when I called to cancel at the end of the 3 months = £32.50. If they extend this to the end of the football season it would have cost me £60, which is about what I used to pay for Prem Plus.

Given the free setup via Quidco I thought it was worth a punt. Hopefully at the end of the month when I call to cancel I'll have either no issues or they extend.

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
My additional half-price deal runs out at the end of December so I called Setanta and got put through to cancellations.

Genuinely I said that at £6.50 I feel its value for money, but as its going back up to £12.99 in January I just don't get time to watch it enough to justify.

"Would you keep it at £6.50?" I was asked. I replied yes and another 3 months was given and was told to call again in March and see what they can do.

As long as they keep the monthly cost similar to the annual cost of my PremPlus ticket previously I'll keep it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom