SETANTA - Northern Ireland

Christyd

Standard Member
Reaction score
So just be aware, that for some of us, an assumption that your subscription to Setanta has died a death may not be the case.....
Hi

I would like to give an update here on my experience with Setanta. The above quote was taken from an old post on here. I'm a former Setanta subscriber from Northern Ireland and have had nothing but trouble since the UK arm went into administration.

I originally cancelled my DD after the service ceased in the UK, only to find another new DD being set up and £10 stolen from my account. Obviously between times a letter was sent but I don't remember receiving such a letter - if I did it probably went in the bin unopened with the other spam. I phoned them as soon as I noticed the money missing and spent about 2 hours trying to get through. Unsuccessful, I simply cancelled the new DD thinking that would be the end of the matter.

Many phone calls FROM setanta later demanding - £10, £20, £30 (each month) they have finally cancelled my subscription. However, there is a chance they will pass the outstanding "debt" to a collection agency. Each time I asked to cancel the subscription and they replied they couldn't because there was debt outstanding on the account. Each time I told them that they owed me £10 they abruptly hung up on me. Obviously a sales or retention dept call.

Trading standards have told me that they are compiling a case study but my weakness was I didn't write to Setanta. Setanta have told me that it is in the T+C that they can transfer the Subscription - I don't have a copy of the terms but their latest revision for ROI states:

"9. Right to Transfer the Contract
You may not transfer your rights or obligations under this Contract to anyone else. We can transfer some or all of our rights or obligations to another person firm or company if this transfer does not affect the Service in a negative way."
So now I'm wondering whether to just pay the money (I don't want my credit score affected by this) or continue to argue with them. IMO, my service was affected 'in a negative way'- I only signed up for Premiership football and I was offered some Italian and Scottish crap instead! More of a punishment if you ask me. I also asked them on each occasion they phoned me to cancel the new phantom agreement.

Anyway, that's my problem with Setanta. It would be interesting to know how many other people are in this situation and how I stand legally on this. I don't want to pay these c**** another brass cent.

Cheers
Christy

I originally cancelled my DD after the service ceased in the UK, only to find another new DD being set up and £10 stolen from my account. Obviously between times a letter was sent but I don't remember receiving such a letter - if I did it probably went in the bin unopened with the other spam.

I didn't think a Direct Debit could be set up without a signature. Are you sure it was a Direct Debit, and not a Recurring Credit card payment - which you cannot cancel?

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply.

This is what how my historical transaction looks from my online bank:

24 Sep 2009 D/D SETANTA SPORTS HIB, INITIAL PAYMENT - 9.99

In my Direct Debits list I see this DD with the status of 'Cancelled'.

I can't see my old DD agreement as I have changed bank account (same bank - different type of account) and have lost all my other old historical data, but I definately cancelled the old DD.

Christy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom